Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:53 am 

I have been considering chorus pedals recently and wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any experience with the mega chorus. I've been browsing through some boutiques (analogman, providence, tortuga, etc.), but am interested by the variety of sounds (chorus, vibrato, maybe flange, maybe phase) that the BYOC says its capable of. I've always been drawn to more control parameters.

However, I haven't found much information out there on them. There are very few reviews on this forum, other gear forums, and even fewer youtube demos.

Any users or previous users out there who could speak to the quality of this pedal's sound?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:14 am 

If you're looking to build a chorus pedal, I wouldn't look any further than the Mega Chorus & Vibrato. It covers all the classic choruses (CE-1, CE-2, small clone) plus does a great VB-2 vibrato sound and gets a little of that Andy Summers flanger used as a chorus sound. And more.

But it's a fairly tough build, so make sure you're soldering is up to speed.

I did a demo in this thread: http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49608&hilit=mega+chorus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:29 am 

Very cool pedal. I've been using it for bass since I already have the BYOC analog chorus on my guitar board. Just as Morgan says, it delivers all of those sounds as promised. Very tweakable!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:58 pm 

It might be a silly concern, but is there any difficulty dialing in lush, subtle choruses? I understand the range and multiple parameters allow for some creative sculpting, but that's not at the cost of basic warm chorus capability, right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:55 pm 

Nope, it does a great lush analogue chorus. Having a blend control means you can make it as subtle as you like too.

codtone.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Here's my 2 cents:

Distortions, fuzzes, and overdrives are an extremely subjective thing with regards to what sounds good and what doesn't. Something like a chorus on the other hand is extremely objective, and IMHO, if you can control all aspects of the LFO, how much of the highs are rolled off by the low pass filtering, the wet/dry ration, and it's not noisy/has decent headroom, there's no reason why it shouldn't sound good. The only tricky thing is if your ideal chorus tone is the small clone for example, you really have no idea how to dial in all the various parameters because aside from rate and depth, everything else is hardwired on the circuit board.

So if you agree with that, then the only real limitation of the BYOC Mega Chorus & Vibrato is that there is no square wave. That was intentional because I don't think square wave sounds good on vibrato/chorus unless you want some weird zvexian sounds. The LFO does actually produce a square wave though. If you were to replace the SPDT with a SP3T and connect that 3rd throw to pin 1 of the TL022 that would be the square wave. You might need to put a limiting resistor, maybe a 10k or 22k, inline because the output of the square wave is going to be a little stronger than the triangle or sine. Actually...the square wave LFO would be pretty cool if you put C18 on a switch so that you could change between a smaller value cap. Using a smaller cap will increase the max speed of the LFO, turning it into a ring modulator. Square wave would be pretty sweet to have then.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:01 pm 

byoc wrote:
Here's my 2 cents:

Distortions, fuzzes, and overdrives are an extremely subjective thing with regards to what sounds good and what doesn't. Something like a chorus on the other hand is extremely objective, and IMHO, if you can control all aspects of the LFO, how much of the highs are rolled off by the low pass filtering, the wet/dry ration, and it's not noisy/has decent headroom, there's no reason why it shouldn't sound good. The only tricky thing is if your ideal chorus tone is the small clone for example, you really have no idea how to dial in all the various parameters because aside from rate and depth, everything else is hardwired on the circuit board.

So if you agree with that, then the only real limitation of the BYOC Mega Chorus & Vibrato is that there is no square wave. That was intentional because I don't think square wave sounds good on vibrato/chorus unless you want some weird zvexian sounds. The LFO does actually produce a square wave though. If you were to replace the SPDT with a SP3T and connect that 3rd throw to pin 1 of the TL022 that would be the square wave. You might need to put a limiting resistor, maybe a 10k or 22k, inline because the output of the square wave is going to be a little stronger than the triangle or sine. Actually...the square wave LFO would be pretty cool if you put C18 on a switch so that you could change between a smaller value cap. Using a smaller cap will increase the max speed of the LFO, turning it into a ring modulator. Square wave would be pretty sweet to have then.

Great, Keith. Now I have to open it back up and do all of these mods!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:16 pm 

wmarshguitarist wrote:

Great, Keith. Now I have to open it back up and do all of these mods!

exactly my thought too!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:44 am 

Very valid points. I appreciate the input.