Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:04 am 

Can one use the BYOC Amp Selector and Stereo FX Router as a guitar cab switcher? I currently was using a commercially available A/B switch to switch between two 8 Ohm speakers from the 8 Ohm speaker output from my amp and recently found out this is a big no no. From my understanding momentarily taking off the speaker load from the amp output when switching from one speaker to the other can damage the amp. The commercially available cab switchers are quite expensive such as the Radial Cabbone. Can I use the Amp Selector as a substitute for the Cabbone, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I am a fairly experience pedal builder (actually an addict to this hobby) and now either modify purchased kits or built my own designs from scratch, so building such a kit is no big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:53 am 

No, the amp switcher will not provide a load to the switched-out amp.

*EDIT* Talking tube amps here, would work fine with SS or digital amps.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:22 am 

Thanks for the reply. That is what I suspected. Since I am switching speakers/cabs from the output of a tube amp, looks like I will have to invest in a purposely built cab switcher. I guess I have just been lucky I haven't damaged my amp.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:54 pm 

wait, i may have this wrong. i thought you were switching amps between a cab, not switching cabs from a single. in that case i think it will work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

There's no reason you couldn't use a simple ABY. The tiny instant that the amp's OT isn't connected to a load while the switch changes throws isn't going to hurt anything. The real problem I can see where you technically shouldn't be using a guitar signal ABY is that the wire between any jacks and the contacts in the switch might not be quiet as thick as they should be as most pedal hook up wire is 24AWG and speaker wire is usually a much thicker gauge. Anyhow....you definitely do NOT want to use the AS&SFXR as a cab selector. It's only for instrument or line level signals. You want to use an ABY that is entirely passive.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com