Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:27 pm 

When I first got the Crown Jewel, I worked on getting the Pinnacle/Guv'nor type of sound on it and I think I came pretty close. I am wondering what ideas you might have about how to get that type of sound. I used the LED soft clipping, Silicon hard clipping (sometimes on and sometimes off), 9V, and the middle Q. I think it is supposed to be LED hard clipping, but I don't know the technical details involved, I just turn the switches and listen. Let me know if you have a better way, or if I am on the right track.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

The Guv'nor needs hard clipping to ground and the CJ doesn't do that. You could modify it to do that though. Remove either the hard Ge diodes or the hard Si diodes and replace them with LEDs.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 am 

Awesome, thanks. I would probably replace the silicone, and that sounds simple enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:42 am 

Looking back, I think I got my inspiration from the "Metal and Hard Rock" video, with the "hot modded plexi" setting, which is pretty darn similar too. Thanks for your response though. If I can find someone to make that change, I will definitely do it, because I am not a fan of hard clipping silicon. I hate the OCD.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 am 

Wait - could there be a guv'nor style boost module in the works?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:30 am 

crownjewels wrote:

You could pick up a hard clipper module and substitute LEDs for the germanium diodes.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am 

I have it. I think I'll keep it as is and swap out the silicon diodes in the hard clipping.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:56 am 
Site Admin

duhvoodooman wrote:
crownjewels wrote:

You could pick up a hard clipper module and substitute LEDs for the germanium diodes.

Yep. You could do that. Or you could use the experimenter module board, and build the clipping section of the guv'nor. It's actually a very simple small bit of circuitry. That would actually make a pretty convincing guv'nor style pedal in theory. Since the guv'nor circuit is a boost > clipping section > EQ, you could put the guv'nor clipping module in the "last" position and use the main crown jewel as a cleanish boost. The main volume control would be your gain control and the boost level would be your master volume. You'd have a pre-EQ instead of a post-EQ, but that isn't a bad thing.

Add some gain and clipping to the main crown jewel and you could probably get a Friedman BE-OD kinda thing going on http://www.pedalpcb.com/docs/Thermionic ... ion.v2.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:51 pm 

That sounds really interesting. I'll send out a request to some builders I know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:26 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
crownjewels wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:49 am 

byoc wrote:
The Guv'nor needs hard clipping to ground and the CJ doesn't do that. You could modify it to do that though. Remove either the hard Ge diodes or the hard Si diodes and replace them with LEDs.

So I had that done, and the sound is a bit fizzy, trebly. It sounds like maybe the bias is off or it is voltage starved. It sounds very similar to no hard clipping, with extra trebly fizzyness. I am wondering if the different voltages that leds operate are causing this, or if you think there could be some other issue?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:43 am 
Site Admin

TBH, I've never actually done this mod, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Do you have a pic of the mod?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 am 

Here are a couple of photos. The leds were wired to one side of a two way switch. The other side is the stock silicon hard clipping.

Attachment:
Photo on 4-7-18 at 9.53 AM #2.jpg
Photo on 4-7-18 at 9.53 AM #2.jpg [ 286.84 KiB | Viewed 9139 times ]

Attachment:
Photo on 4-7-18 at 9.52 AM.jpg
Photo on 4-7-18 at 9.52 AM.jpg [ 300.81 KiB | Viewed 9139 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:16 pm 

It does sound much better with 18V, so I'm guessing that 9V isn't enough to feed two leds and the rest of the circuit. However, a little fizz is still there. I can lessen it with the treble knob a little, but then it can get woofy without treble. It doesn't seem to be in the presence frequency range. Any ideas on improving the sound would be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:59 am 

I tried it today at low stage volume, and it won't do. It is a bit buzzy, but has kind of a transient, or brief post transient spike in volume. I don't think I'll be able to use it as is. I was able to smooth it out at home with a small amp at bedroom levels, but it just doesn't work or sound right.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Did you build this, or did someone else? I ask mostly because I want to know if you'll be able to tinker with this yourself? The wiring to the secondary switch is nice. Does the regular silicon setting work?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:51 pm 

Thanks for your response. I didn't build it, someone else did, and I think his work is excellent. The silicon sounds great as it did before he added the switch. I don't think I would tinker myself, but if you know what is needed, I could probably have it done. I'm asking because I just want to know if you think it can become workable or not.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

In theory, there's absolutely no reason this shouldn't work. There's one thing you could try though. Instead of having the LEDs clip to ground, you could have them clip to vref.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:23 am 

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the pm. I didn't notice the message in your signature. That is something I will probably try. I thought it should work as is too, but everything else sounds great, so it is ok.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:24 am 
Site Admin

I'm curious myself, so if you try that, please let us know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 am 

I definitely will let you know. I'm not in a hurry though. Everything else sounds so good. The soft led clipping sounds very similar to me, but I am sure there are differences. This is a such a great pedal, so versatile unlike all the others that I have had. I much prefer it to the "classics" that it can emulate and then go well beyond. I've been meaning to ask and I can't find any information from my research on it, but are there any pedals that use soft led clipping? Is this the first one to do it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

crownjewels wrote:
I definitely will let you know. I'm not in a hurry though. Everything else sounds so good. The soft led clipping sounds very similar to me, but I am sure there are differences. This is a such a great pedal, so versatile unlike all the others that I have had. I much prefer it to the "classics" that it can emulate and then go well beyond. I've been meaning to ask and I can't find any information from my research on it, but are there any pedals that use soft led clipping? Is this the first one to do it?

The only one I know of is the Langraff. So it's become pretty popular with modified tubescreamers. But as far as I know, no "original" pedals use LED soft clipping. It's pretty useful when used in conjunction with hard clipping.