Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:55 pm 

Hey all,

You might remember me from this thread where I broke my tone pot and had to wait for a replacement: http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58516

I dig the pedal, but I noticed that side-by-side with a TS9, the TS9 sounds brighter (with its tone pot at 12 o'clock) than the BBOD does with its tone pot maxed out to the right. Is this normal for the circuit? I was expecting more chime since it's a more transparent overdrive.

I went through with my multimeter and double checked the value of all the resistors, and visually inspected each of the film caps. I also checked to make sure the path between the tone pot lugs and the next component in line were fine (e.g., from the middle lug to the pad of whatever component connects to the non-ground lug of the tone pot).

It sounds great with my Strat, but bordering on too muddy with humbuckers.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:26 am 

I think I see your problem. The capacitor that you have installed at C2 (see marked up photo attached below) should be a 47 pf ceramic cap and is clearly a film cap of some higher value, probably a 47 nf (473), if I had to guess. This value causes way too much of your treble to be lost through the gain stage.

If you received this cap in the kit rather than the correct 47 pf ceramic cap, then it's BYOC's mistake, and they should send you the correct one at no cost. Contact sales@buildyourownclone.com, in that case. If it's an error that you made somehow, then you can order one here: https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... capacitors

Attachment:
BBOD_wrong_cap.jpg
BBOD_wrong_cap.jpg [ 75.75 KiB | Viewed 433 times ]

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:38 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I think I see your problem. The capacitor that you have installed at C2 (see marked up photo attached below) should be a 47 pf ceramic cap and is clearly a film cap of some higher value, probably a 47 nf (473), if I had to guess. This value causes way too much of your treble to be lost through the gain stage.

If you received this cap in the kit rather than the correct 47 pf ceramic cap, then it's BYOC's mistake, and they should send you the correct one at no cost. Contact sales@buildyourownclone.com, in that case. If it's an error that you made somehow, then you can order one here: https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... capacitors

Woah! You are truly the (voodoo) man! I did indeed have a 47nf cap in that position. I remembered reading something about the ceramic cap in the directions but it looks like I glossed over that part. I swapped out the caps and the difference is night and day! Thank you very much.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the OD help forum? As a reference to anyone else who makes the same oopsie.

Thanks again! Time for another sound demo.

p.s. Any trick to getting ALL the solder out of the board holes with desoldering braid? It always seems to leave a little. I may not be leaving the iron long enough. I'm afraid of burning the board.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:59 pm 

supertanker13 wrote:
Maybe this thread should be moved to the OD help forum? As a reference to anyone else who makes the same oopsie.

Good idea. Done!

supertanker13 wrote:
p.s. Any trick to getting ALL the solder out of the board holes with desoldering braid? It always seems to leave a little. I may not be leaving the iron long enough. I'm afraid of burning the board.

Yeah, that can be a little tricky. If you can get the suction nozzle over the eyelet hole, a solder sucker works better for this. Oftentimes what I'll do is to I cut the braid diagonally so that it forms a point and stick that into the eyelet, then press the iron tip against it.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm 

if those fail, try holding the PCB in one hand, heating the pad for a few seconds with the other, then quickly whacking it on your bench top. The molten solder will fly out and splatter, so wear safety glasses. And pants. Wear pants. Don't ask me why I know to wear pants. It's a sensitive issue :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:00 pm 

CaptainPeyote wrote:
if those fail, try holding the PCB in one hand, heating the pad for a few seconds with the other, then quickly whacking it on your bench top. The molten solder will fly out and splatter, so wear safety glasses. And pants. Wear pants. Don't ask me why I know to wear pants. It's a sensitive issue :lol:

I do this sometimes, and every single time I squeeze my eyes shut and say to myself "This is really stupid, this is really stupid, this is really stupid…" But dang it if it doesn't work ten times better than a solder sucker for certain situations.

My band, Austin Hollow: Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter