Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:14 am 

In 2015, I assembled an SP rev 1.0. In 2020, BYOC released the SP rev 2.1. Comparing the two schematics to each other, I'm noticing different component values. Also noticing the circuits are slightly different at the input and output. How do these differences affect the newer version compared to the older version?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

We got rid of the buffered bypass in Rev2.0. It's just true mechanical bypass now. The component value differences are very minor and don't really make much of a noticeable difference. The values used now are based on the generally more accepted Martin Chittim schematic. The newer version had toggle switches to affect the bass response and clipping on the Rev2.0 PCB. Rev2.1 still has the infrastructure for these mod, but we got rid off them as part of the kit due to the fact that the Klon uses a wet/dry blend gain knob, and since these mods only affected the wet signal, it nullified the effects of the mods when the gain was below 50%. We got tired of having to explain that this was normal.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:09 am 

byoc wrote:
We got rid of the buffered bypass in Rev2.0. It's just true mechanical bypass now. The component value differences are very minor and don't really make much of a noticeable difference. The values used now are based on the generally more accepted Martin Chittim schematic. The newer version had toggle switches to affect the bass response and clipping on the Rev2.0 PCB. Rev2.1 still has the infrastructure for these mod, but we got rid off them as part of the kit due to the fact that the Klon uses a wet/dry blend gain knob, and since these mods only affected the wet signal, it nullified the effects of the mods when the gain was below 50%. We got tired of having to explain that this was normal.

Perfect! Thank you very much! I have already ordered the SP 2.1. Looking forward to comparing it to the 1.0

Did the original buffered bypass circuit affect any germanium based pedal that followed it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:53 am 
Site Admin

syscokid wrote:

Did the original buffered bypass circuit affect any germanium based pedal that followed it?

Well....we're really only talking about very small number of fuzz pedals that are adversely affected by impedance, namely the Fuzz Face, MKI and FZ-1. Using Germanium components (especially diodes) doesn't make the circuit inherently susceptible to impedance issues, and the circuits in question behave the same way even when using silicon transistors. But anyways....I know what you were getting at and to answer your question directly, yes. It does have the same effect as putting a discrete buffer in front of a Fuzz Face, i.e., it makes the pedal technically work better in most regards, but it takes away something from the picking dynamics.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:23 pm 

Excellent... Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:27 pm 

New question...

Rev 1.0 100k output pot is audio, and Rev 2.1 is linear. With gain at zero, unity volume on V1.0 is at noon and V2.1 is at 9:30-ish. With both pedals on max volume, they are equal in volume. I prefer the output volume's sweep of the audio taper pot. What else would a linear tapered pot affect differently of the circuit's behavior compared to an audio tapered pot?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:36 pm 

syscokid wrote:
What else would a linear tapered pot affect differently of the circuit's behavior compared to an audio tapered pot?

Nothing else, to my knowledge. They both start and end at the same point; the only difference is how fast they get there. If you prefer the audio taper, go for it. You don't even have to use the same resistance rating, since the volume control is a voltage divider. What's important is the ratio of the resistances on either side of the wiper. So if you don't have an A10K handy but you do have an A100K, you can use that instead.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:34 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
syscokid wrote:
What else would a linear tapered pot affect differently of the circuit's behavior compared to an audio tapered pot?

Nothing else, to my knowledge. They both start and end at the same point; the only difference is how fast they get there. If you prefer the audio taper, go for it. You don't even have to use the same resistance rating, since the volume control is a voltage divider. What's important is the ratio of the resistances on either side of the wiper. So if you don't have an A10K handy but you do have an A100K, you can use that instead.

Thank you very much... 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:49 pm 

Correction: Output pot is 10k, and not 100k! Sorry about that!