Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:10 pm 

Howdy, I just built one of these to stock specs. Went together beautifully, great kit!! I'm surprised to discover that with the level and pregain boost both maxed, it's only about the same volume as my stock '83 MIJ DS-1. I really hoped I'd get a touch more volume. It's just a hair below bypass volume. Otherwise, it sounds fantastic. Almost identical to my DS-1 but with a bit more clarity.

Should the boost provide more output?

Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:12 pm 

I was wondering if there is a mod to get a little more volume... anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:08 pm 

While I don't have an Orange Distortion anymore, my recollection from when I built the kit when it first came out is that it didn't lack for output volume, particularly with the controls cranked. The OP's statement that "with the level and pregain boost both maxed....It's just a hair below bypass volume" certainly doesn't sound right to me. I suspect some other problem was present in that case.

As for the best way to add more output, I'll defer to Kieth or Nick for that....

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:13 pm 

This being revived, I can elaborate on my original post. BYOC, on a direct email, explained to me that the pre-gain knob is only a cut, not a boost so you can peel back the input if so desired. As far as the bypass volume being a bit louder, this is just due to the inherent mid cuts in the tone circuits.

I have since added a boost pedal to get more volume for leads.

For something built-in, the instructions have a 'more mids' mod that reduces the mid cut. It'll affect your tone but should give you a boost.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:43 pm 

Agree that this pedal cranked is plenty loud. I like the pre gain and gain about 12 o'clock. I did change both tone caps to 100n and the mid range is beautifully balanced. Since I cut the pre gain so much is the anything I can do that get a tad more juice? I have the volume dimed and it is barely loud enough. I would like a little headroom!!!

Thanks, John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:54 am 

I'm pretty sure the only way is to turn up the pregain. You are cutting signal into the pedal by turning it down, so adding a component to turn it back up is self defeating.