Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:37 pm 

The El Distorto Segundo distortion kit features options to have symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping, via installation of optional diodes. But what kind of influence will installing these diodes for the asymmetrical clipping bear on the delivered tone? I've read that asymmetrical in general gives a clearer sound, and with less sustain.

Will one configuration sound smoother than the other, thinner than the other, and what other sonic differences might be perceived in one setup vs the other?

Last edited by Delicieuxz on Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:26 pm 

VOLUMES have been written on this complicated subject. Suggest that you google your way around the internet and read up on it. Here's a pretty good thread to start in, with some excellent comments and some good links: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/i ... ic=28353.0

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:47 am 

Thanks for the link. I got a pretty good idea of how people compare the two styles in general, I guess I'm wondering how it applies specifically with the El Distorto Segundo. But I probably can't know that without hearing it for myself. I figure I'd like the symmetrical setup. Is it pretty easy to change setups, or revert the El Distorto to symmetrical from asymmetrical once the pedal is assembled in the chassis?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:46 am 

I'd suggest that you install single inline sockets in the PCB eyelets for D3, D4 and D5 (see labeled PCB diagram below), which are the main clipping diodes for the "vintage" switch setting. Then you can experiment with different diode combinations to your heart's content. You could also socket D6, D7 and D8, but these diodes are in the resonance loop of the circuit and won't have as much tonal effect.

If you want symmetrical clipping, put the same diodes (or combinations of diodes, soldered head to tail) into D4 and D5 in opposite polarity orientations, and install a jumper in D3. For asymmetrical clipping, you can use all three positions; D3 and D4 are one polarity "side" and D5 is the other polarity. Refer to the EDS schematic, also posted below.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:53 pm 

That info will come in handy, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:44 am 

I've got an update from my build. I installed the single inline sockets, and then tried both symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping style. I preferred the symmetrical style when I tried it, and so that's what I went with. I plan to switch the diodes around some more to try out the other way, soon.

Just a suggestion: Why not include a page in the El Distorto Segundo instructions for the alternate clipping setup, and the information about using single inline sockets to allow for post-build changes? That information really helped me get the sound I was after.

By the way, is the Resonance circuit the same deal for symmetrical clipping?: Put a jumper in D6, and install D7 and D8 in opposite-polarity to the stock instructions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:45 am 

Here's an audio recording of my BYOC El Distorto Segundo with symmetrical clipping, for anyone who'd like to hear that diode configuration: https://youtu.be/-oAohKZR_rw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:09 am 

Delicieuxz wrote:
Here's an audio recording of my BYOC El Distorto Segundo with symmetrical clipping, for anyone who'd like to hear that diode configuration: https://youtu.be/-oAohKZR_rw

Please, what did you end up doing? Sounds awesome. Way more balls than my stock build. Also curious as to your signal chain for reference.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:13 am 

rob303 wrote:
Delicieuxz wrote:

Please, what did you end up doing? Sounds awesome. Way more balls than my stock build. Also curious as to your signal chain for reference.

I added in-line sockets to the diode pads, and then installed the diodes and jumper according to the information that duhvoodooman instructed above.

I've found that there are some key spots where balancing the drive and resonance levels just right brings out that really crunchy, woolly sound, which is the sound I love about the MXR D-II. I feel like those spots are very particular, and can be tricky to dial in.

Also, the dual note / ping sound that I posted about in the other thread is present in the EDS build that I'm using in that recording, but I've found that undesirable effect is minimized when both using the bridge pickup of my guitar, and when the resonance knob on the EDS is cranked up sufficiently enough.

The signal path for that recording is 2 Strats (one panned left, the other panned right) with Red Lace Sensor pickups in the bridge position -> probably a BOSS CS-3 compressor (don't remember if I was using a compressor or not -> EDS -> Marshall JMP-1 preamp -> Strategy 500 power amp.

I don't recall the JMP-1 setting, but it might be the OD1 channel, being boosted by the EDS.