Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: BYOC Mouse Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:43 pm 

Hey all!

So I'm interested in building the mouse. Reason being is that I have a RAT and it's almost what I want it to do, but not quite there.

Here's a sample of what I recorded with my RAT for a reference point:
https://soundcloud.com/blackhandaus/rat-test

I use a RAT in a lot of my Axe-FX patches. The real pedal always sounds better than the AFX model, but I've tweaked my AFX one to the point where it's a fairly different beast. That said, I noticed all the mods in the Mouse so maybe one of those mods can get me there?

Things I would like my RAT to do:

1) A bit more punch and headroom
The distortion in that clip is set to just under 9:00. I would like a bit more distortion, but things get fuzzy instead of bitey and I lose note definition. I know a RAT is meant to be kinda fuzzy, but a bit more headroom before the fuzz swoops in would be nice.

2) "Spittier" distortion.
I want it to crackle a little bit and sound nastier. Not in a shrill, harsh piercing way, but a bit less smooth and refined?

3) A Mid scoop and a small bass boost.
It's what I do to my AFX Modelled RAT.

Now there's 6 different modes to the BYOC Mouse. I'm not 100% clear on what each of those modes do. If somebody could explain what they do using words like: "Warmer" or "Fuzzier" or "Mid-Scooped" that would be lovely :). If there's a mode that does all of what I just described, kindly let me know, but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm chasing a bit of a unicorn RAT here...

Post subject: Re: BYOC Mouse Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

The 6 different settings are different clipping settings. 3 settings are soft clipping, which would be considered more of an overdrive style clipping, and three are hard clipping, which would be considered more of a distortion style clipping (and what the rat normally uses). The rat normally uses silicon diodes. Using LEDs will give you more of a crunchy distortion. The soft clipping settings will probably give you the sound with more headroom that you're looking for.

Aside from changing those clipping settings, the byoc mouse doesn't deviate from the original circuit all that much. It uses a pretty simply high cut circuit for the filter/tone knob. It may be beyond your current skill level if you're a complete beginner, but removing the tone knob and adding a more sophisticated EQ is not all that complicated.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com