Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:27 pm 

Regarding the BYOC E.S.V. MKII Tonebender, which the description says is based on the MKII Professional Tonebender, what is required to make this a normal MKII, instead of the MKII professional?

Also, what are the differences between the MKII and MKII Pro? In YouTube videos, the MKII Pro sounds bassier to me, and doesn't have as much of the high-end sizzle that I really like about the MKII demo videos. So, I'm wondering if I could swap a capacitor or two and make the BYOC MKII Pro clone into an MKII.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Delicieuxz wrote:
Regarding the BYOC E.S.V. MKII Tonebender, which the description says is based on the MKII Professional Tonebender, what is required to make this a normal MKII, instead of the MKII professional?

Also, what are the differences between the MKII and MKII Pro? In YouTube videos, the MKII Pro sounds bassier to me, and doesn't have as much of the high-end sizzle that I really like about the MKII demo videos. So, I'm wondering if I could swap a capacitor or two and make the BYOC MKII Pro clone into an MKII.

Do you mean the Vox tonebender vs. the SolaSound tonebender? Do you have a schematic?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:30 am 

Hi, I just saw your reply.

I thought that the MK II and MK II Pro were slightly different circuits because the demo in this video makes them sound a bit different from each other:

MK II - 1:34
MK II Pro - 2:13

The MK II sounds to me like it has more sizzle, but maybe that's just his playing being a bit different, or maybe the pedal is dialed in a bit differently?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:15 pm 

My understanding is that those two JMI MkII circuits are the same but use different transistors. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on them and I'm not personally aware of a difference in the the "Mk II" amd "Mk II Pro" circuits. I suggest just building one and experimenting with different sets of transistors. And yes, a cap swap can change the bass response, which changes how the highs 'sizzle'.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 am 

I found what is reported to be a schematic for the Vox MK II at Fuzz Central: http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mkII.php

The Vox ToneBender MKII

Like always, when we're talking about ToneBenders, we can't forget to mention Vox. Vox also made a version of the ToneBender MKII Professional which they also called the MKII. It was the same basic circuit with only a few minor component value differences. Check out the schematic of the Vox MKII below, which was emailed to me by Peter, who traced the schematic from an original he owned.

Attachments:
vox mkII schematic.gif
vox mkII schematic.gif [ 6.31 KiB | Viewed 4219 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 am 

And here's the Sola Sound MKII Professional schematic, from the same page.

It look like there are a few different component values, besides the transistors.

Attachments:
mkII pro schematic.gif
mkII pro schematic.gif [ 6.42 KiB | Viewed 4218 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:57 am 

The pedals in the YouTube video I posted are made by JMI Amplification. It seems that JMI Amplification's website was taken down just recently, sometime after October 2017: http://www.jmiamplification.com

Maybe it's just an error, and it will be back. Though, their Facebook page was last updated in 2010.

Here are the web.archive backups of their pages for the Tonebenders:

JMI MK II: https://web.archive.org/web/20170702233 ... one-bender

Exact replica of the 1966 - 1967 mark II sand casted tonebender. Different transistors were used and the unit was famously used by : Mr. Jeff Beck

Sand casted aluminium chassis.
Limited Production.
Germanium Transistors : 3 x OC75 NOS.
Original Circuit
Pedal Dimensions: (in mm) This is including feet and knobs and is based upon the largest of each facing side)

(W x D x H)

111 x 213 x 65

JMI MK II Professional: https://web.archive.org/web/20170207082 ... one-bender

Exact replica of the highly sought OC81D equipped 1967 MK II Professional tonebender. Most famously associated with : Mr. Jimmy Page

Sand casted aluminium chassis.
Limited Production.
Germanium Transistors : 3 x OC81D NOS.
Original Circuit
Pedal Dimensions: (in mm) This is including feet and knobs and is based upon the largest of each facing side)

(W x D x H)

111 x 213 x 65

It doesn't give details on whether their circuit of the non-Professional MK II clone is the Vox one, or not. I wonder if a version of this pedal with switchable transistor sets could be made, though.