Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:35 pm 

This is my first time I've ever populated a circuit board and I'm having a hard time comparing the picture in the instructions and its values compared to the CB schematic is there a section/ topic in the website that I could be directed to that I can read about populating the circuit boards? Right now I am in the process of building the confidence booster pedal and it's pretty straightforward because it's simple. The picture in the instructions show the value of all the resistors but two of the resistors are labeled 2M2 what value is this 2 Meg ohms? What does the 2 mean at the end. The next pedal I'm about to build is the Royal Echo and it's a little more complex the picture of the circuit board has the values of resistors like 471,473, 103, 105, 223, 332 what do these values mean. the CB schematic shows the values of the resistors as they are like 47k, 10K or 320R I totally understand these values but I'm having a hard time comparing the CB schematic to the picture of the circuit board in the instructions.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:56 pm 

Wow I feel totally dumb sorry for the dumb question if I would have read the parts checklist which I did but didn't recognize that there are numbers that coincide with the value of the resistors and those are the numbers that are on the picture of the circuit board in the instructions. sorry I answered my own question. Can we delete this topic :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:32 pm 

Alisoncustomshop wrote:
Wow I feel totally dumb sorry for the dumb question if I would have read the parts checklist which I did but didn't recognize that there are numbers that coincide with the value of the resistors and those are the numbers that are on the picture of the circuit board in the instructions. sorry I answered my own question. Can we delete this topic

No such thing as a dumb question when you're just starting out!

2M2 is just another way of writing 2.2M--the M represents the decimal point in this notation. Just like you might see 4K7 for a 4.7Kohm resistor or 3K3 for a 3.3K.

The three digit notation is another way to represent these values. The first two digits are the basic value and the third digit represents the number of zeroes following that value to give the resistor rating in ohms. So, for example, 223 would be 22,000 ohms = 22Kohms. 105 would be 10 followed by 5 additional zeroes, or 1,000,000 ohms = 1.0Mohms. A 471 is 470 ohms. And so on....

And if you think resistor coding is confusing, wait until you get into capacitors! Here's some "light reading" for you: http://www.byocelectronics.com/capcodes.pdf

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 pm 

Thanks for your willingness to work with me on this I'm good student so don't worry about your advice and knowledge falling upon deaf ears. I get it now it's just the numbers that represent the color rings on the resistors and letters that represent decimal points in the middle of numbers. Capacitors are next sounds like fun I love this stuff so I'm ready to learn something. I will take a look at that link you sent me.
Thanks again