Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm 

I have a beginners question, can some one tell me the differance between the taper potentiometers labled "A" "B" OR "C". Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:27 pm 

Alisoncustomshop wrote:
I have a beginners question, can some one tell me the differance between the taper potentiometers labled "A" "B" OR "C". Thanks

This link will give you a TON of information on pots. Far too much for a simple forum post: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/p ... tscret.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:35 pm 

By all means, read the article that Nick linked. But the short answer is:

A = audio (or logarithmic) taper; starts gradually and increases faster at the clockwise end of the sweep
B = linear taper; constant rate of change across the entire sweep
C = reverse audio (or reverse logarithmic) taper; starts quickly and increases more slowly at the clockwise end of the sweep

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:26 pm 

Thanks guys I appreciate the information. Have a great day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:04 pm 

Hey guys I'm about to order some parts and I was wondering if I can replace the transistor in the confidence booster to a better transistor like the germanium or another type of transistor to make to make the Boost better in it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:01 pm 

Alisoncustomshop wrote:
Hey guys I'm about to order some parts and I was wondering if I can replace the transistor in the confidence booster to a better transistor like the germanium or another type of transistor to make to make the Boost better in it

Not really. The transistors that come in the Confidence Boost kit are modern, high quality, high gain silicon NPN transistors. You definitely don't want to go with a germanium transistor, since they tend to be extremely variable, often noisy, and almost certainly much lower in gain than the silicons.

The real limitation of the Confidence Boost is the simplicity of the circuit itself. Keep in mind that it was designed for ease of construction by beginning DIY'ers, not for power & versatility. If you want something with a lot of kick, take a look at one of the other BYOC boost kits that are designed for higher performance. My recommendations would be the 27V Boost mini-pedal or (my personal favorite) the FET PreAmp, which is a killer clean boost with a fantastically effective 2-band Baxandall EQ stage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:20 pm 

I agree with DVM. You can look into something like the OPA2134 or similar 'hi-fi' opamp. Will it make a large noticeable difference? Probably not, but it's technically an upgrade over many general purpose dual opamps. The Conf. Boost kit can be used as a normal boost, for sure, but it's not the best boost we offer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:27 pm 

Nwkenning wrote:
I agree with DVM. You can look into something like the OPA2134 or similar 'hi-fi' opamp. Will it make a large noticeable difference? Probably not, but it's technically an upgrade over many general purpose dual opamps. The Conf. Boost kit can be used as a normal boost, for sure, but it's not the best boost we offer.

Just a point of clarification on Nick's comment: The op amp in the Confidence Boost acts only a a unity-gain buffer (i.e. output = input ) for the circuit. The boost gain all comes from the transistor. So while a hi-fi op amp like the OPA2134 could slightly improve the clarity of the output, it won't increase its volume.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:17 pm 

Thanks guys for all the information I'm definitely a beginner at building circuit boards like these offered on the site for pedals. I've only wired simple circuits for guitars I've built over the years so this is a great challenge for me. I'm the type of person that's always thinking what else can be done to make it different or better so thanks for your patience if I seem to get a little weird with my imaginations. I think I'm just going to go with the FET preamp you recommended for my Boost pedal build. As far as the confidence booster I went ahead and installed two variable resistors 1 on the emitter (1K) of the transistor and one on the collector (250K) of a transistor because I get quite a bit of response out of them when I tested them. I'll post some pictures when I put it in an enclosure and finish it up with some artwork. Thanks again for all your help