Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:17 am 

The Silver Pony II is just another unique and affordable offering from BYOC, with lots of options. This looks excellent. I am just wondering if it would be different sounding than my Crown Jewel, which seems to have similar options. Thanks for your answer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:01 am 

Take a look at the CJ settings documented in THIS POST and Keith's demo video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ87qy542Wg They include both boost and overdrive settings for a Klon emulation. Sounds pretty authentic to me, but see what you think.

Then again, there's a school of thought that says you can never have too many killer dirt boxes! :twisted:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 am 

Thanks duhvoodooman. I am really happy with the CJ. I agree with both of your comments. My pedal board carrying arm is telling me to listen to your first answer. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am 

I mean, what if you wanted to have the Klon sound AND another of the many overdrive/boost circuits the Crown Jewel can do? Sounds like your only choice is to have both on your board. Or two Crown Jewels, I suppose that's always an option.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Technically, the Crown Jewel cannot replicate the Silver Pony II in LED clipping mode since the CJ does not have a hard LED clipping option. So the SP2 does have that over the CJ. But I do feel confident that the CJ can replicate all the other sounds you can achieve with the SP2 and many many many many more.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:01 pm 

Thanks Scott and Keith. The kloned sound is truly an essential and versatile overdrive. It is my favorite sound on the CJ I think. I also love the modules, I have all of them, except the newest one. I'm still waiting on a demo video of that in action.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:36 pm 

In order for the Crown Jewel to get the Klon sound, is it required to get the Dry Blend board installed?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:08 pm 

Ribspare wrote:
In order for the Crown Jewel to get the Klon sound, is it required to get the Dry Blend board installed?

Ribspare: I think it helps a bit for the clean boost function, but I have been wondering this same thing, since all I have to compare it to is the Soul Food.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:35 pm 

I just had a chance to compare it to a more authentic Klon clone, and the dry blend does help. I think the CJ is the most versatile Klon on the market. You have full control of the clean blend and the germanium overdrive. And it seems to have more headroom and clean and dirty versatility. I especially appreciate dialing in the clean to slightly warm sounds that are just spectacular with this, and yes, you can get the exact clone sounds too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Yes and no, with regards to needing the dry blend for getting the Klon sound with the Crown Jewel.....mostly yes. The Klon drive knob is a dual gang pot that controls the gain of the overdrive and simultaneously blends clean signal. It's basically two knobs in one. As you turn up the gain, it reduces the amount of clean signal. As you turn down the gain, it increases the amount of clean signal. If you turn it full turn clockwise, it's pure overdrive and all clean signal has been shunted to ground. And conversely, if you turn it full turn counter clockwise, it's pure clean signal and all the overdrive signal has been shunted to ground.

So you can get the same sounds as a klon with its drive knob full turn clockwise. And you probably couldn't hear any dry signal (or feel how the dry signal affects the pick attack) till about 3 o'clock. But you would need the dry blend to truly get the full rotation of the klon's drive knob.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com