Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:08 am 

Hey guys, long time! Not sure what I'm after exactly, but I'm ready to finally buy a BYOC kit. I've never bought a kit from anywhere, always built from scratch. Some recent failed builds have shaken my confidence, so I just want to buy a kit so that I know all the components are quality, and there will be a high likelihood of success.

Not sure what I'm after really. The Crown Jewell looks a bit too complicated for me to use on stage - I've come to realize that the fewer knobs and switches I have, the better. I don't mind a few toggles for options though. Green Pony is looking nice in that regard. I don't own any kind of klone, and the Silver Pony 2 looks reeeaaal nice.

Tone-wise is where I'm really not sure what to do. Even though I'm playing a lot of Sabbath-based metal, I've realized that super-high gain is not my friend (which makes sense, becasue 70's Sabbath doesn't really sound very high gain). So that's why I'm eyeing overdrive pedals at the moment, as opposed to distortions - I'm open to opinions though.

The other night at practice, I just wasnt cutting through the mix, couldnt hear myself. So I switched from distortions and turned on my old tubescreamer, which didn't have enough gain, but at least I could hear myself clearly. The drive knob was cranked, obviously.

I've been on a fuzz kick for a while, but I think I'm kinda burnt out on them for now. Too much fizz with Si based fuzz, but I probably need to explore more Ge fuzzes. Big Muff Pi is sounding too muddy, even with the mids flat or boosted.

I *think* I'm looking for something that has nice breakup sounds, but still allows my playing and my guitar's character to come through. At the same time, I'd like the abilty to crank the gain knob and get some nasty (almost) metal amounts of gain, or flip a switch or something. So, I want something that sounds good at various levels of gain. I hope this is all making sense, lol. Do I need an "amp in a box" type of drive pedal? I've got an OK bsiab2 that I built long ago, but I didn't use great components & it's got some hiss.

Please point me towards the right BYOC kit. Thanks!

P.S. - I miss you guys. Sorry I've been away so long.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:01 am 

I think the Silver Pony II is likely to be a great option for you. I haven’t finished building it yet, but I have the original, and it works great both as a boost and overdrive. Having both in one box, plus the clipping options, should give you tons of ways to cut through the mix.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:53 am 

sjaustin wrote:
I think the Silver Pony II is likely to be a great option for you.

^ This. I have built the SP2 and it's a great sounding and very flexible pedal that can go from pure clean boost to a quite heavy overdrive, bordering on distortion, at the highest gain settings. And if you put another boost in front of it, you can get even more gain from it.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:52 pm 

I feel like I should have some kind of klone in my collection anyway, so the SP2 looks like a winner. Currently leaning that way. Thanks for your input so far guys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
And if you put another boost in front of it, you can get even more gain from it.

Generally speaking, in your opinion, what type of boost works well in front of the SP2 to increase gain? Si transistor based? Ge based? Op amp? Etc..

As an aside, I'm also eyeing the Kuzco Jr. kit because I've been wanting a Red Llama. It's CMOS-based, so I'm curious how that would stack with the SP2 as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 am 

Jefe wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:
And if you put another boost in front of it, you can get even more gain from it.

Generally speaking, in your opinion, what type of boost works well in front of the SP2 to increase gain? Si transistor based? Ge based? Op amp? Etc..

As an aside, I'm also eyeing the Kuzco Jr. kit because I've been wanting a Red Llama. It's CMOS-based, so I'm curious how that would stack with the SP2 as well.

In my experience, Klon(ish) circuits stack well.

As to what kind of boost/gain circuit you'd want to stack in front of it, I think that will depend a lot on your own personal tastes and some experimentation.

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:34 am 

Jefe wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:

Generally speaking, in your opinion, what type of boost works well in front of the SP2 to increase gain?

I've always been partial to the venerable EHX Linear Power Boost circuit for this kind of thing, because it boosts all frequencies (hence the designation "linear"). There are several commercial versions available, both EHX and clones, but it's a very simple circuit and easy to build one yourself.

And of course BYOC offers some great sounding boosts. I love the 27V mini-pedal and the FET Pre-amp is a fabulous sounding boost with a great EQ section to tailor frequency response.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 am 

Excellent, thank you so much for your input guys!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 pm 

This boost is dead simple, easily moddable for gain (just play with resistor values), and it's totally quiet and does not color your sound.

http://www.jer00n.nl/2010/07/28/clean-b ... r-or-bass/

I made some etched PCBs for it years ago, but I sold out. The build doc is here:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=41094&hilit=boost+20+20+20dB

I added optional clipping LEDs which can make it pretty dirty. Even with all the options, it'll still fit on a tiny scrap of perf board.

Oh, and welcome back Jefe!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:40 pm 

Very cool, thank you for that Captain!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:31 am 

SP2 and Kuzco Jr. kits ordered. Now I wait.

Thanks again for your help guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am 

I would say over a course of a year or two, just keep buying an OD or distortion pedal. After a while you’ll have may have a collection of 4, 5, 6 or more pedals. You’ll eventually find a pedal suits you.

For me, I have found the best BYOC OD pedals that matches my personal taste are the Crown Jewel, Classic Overdrive, the NYC Large Beaver, and the Germanium Fuzz. The Green Pony and the Silver Pony 2 is also on my list too as very usable pedals. Other OD pedals were good too or at least interesting. Just keep auditioning different pedals.

The reason why I prefer to buy BYOC pedals is that if something goes wrong, I am more likely able to fix it. With store bought pedals, I am not comfortable trying to repair them if they malfunction.