Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 855 Drive capacitors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:59 am 

Hi,

In the 855 drive kit, there are two ceramic disc capacitors with respective values of 20pF and 470pF.

I have not too much notions in electronics but I noticed they played a role in the feedback loop of the dual IC.
Is it worth replacing those ceramic disc with silver mica capacitors of same value ? I mean, would it add something else to the sound character or is it purely negligible ?

Thank you in advance !

Regards,
Cesar

Post subject: Re: 855 Drive capacitors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:51 am 
Site Admin

I don't think you'll hear a difference, but some people will tell you they can. It's really more of a mojo/audiophile thing...even if it doesn't really make a difference, just knowing they're in there is worth it to some people.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:20 pm 

Thank you for your feedback. This confirms my thoughts !

More precisely, I have always been confused about component types. To me, a capacitor remains a given C value +/- some tolerances. Maybe some act under given imperfections while others probably don't. But this even may be true under high voltages and current and not for a weak guitar signal.

Cesar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:18 pm 

The subject of a million debates. As far as I can tell from reading up on it, there is almost never any scientific basis for one type sounding better than the other. When there are differences, it is far more likely to be due to the fairly high tolerance in these parts (±20% in many cases). People's desire to have something special or rare takes care of the rest.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:49 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
When there are differences, it is far more likely to be due to the fairly high tolerance in these parts (±20% in many cases). People's desire to have something special or rare takes care of the rest.

+1 to this. If you've got a means to measure capacitance (onboard for some multimeters, or you can order and build a cheap kit) then your best bet is to choose ones that are closest in actual value to the nominal value required. In my experience, this is FAR more important than the type of cap.

That said, polyester film caps are sort of the "gold standard" for audio, but this only matters if the cap in question is IN the audio signal path. Often, caps go to ground or the power rail and are NOT in series with the signal. In these cases, ONLY capacitance value matters! If we're talking about a bootstrap cap to ground, or a tone cap to ground like inside a guitar, then I'm pretty sure you could use a dog turd with the correct capacitance value and it wouldn't sound any different :lol: As we sometimes say around here, "electrons don't care".

The only other item to note is that electrolytic caps tend to fail over long periods of time (the electrolyte can leak or dry out), and need to be replaced occasionally.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:54 am 

Hi CaptainPeyote,

Thank you for all those interesting things!
All those considerations sound very scientific unlike all the hype we easily find on many forums...
This is too bad that myths are not immediately busted once they start to appear in people's mind.

Regards,
Cesar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:33 pm 

But if we busted all those myths, then people couldn't make a killing selling "mojo" :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:09 am 

Fair point !