Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:15 pm 

Hi,
I bought several Spring Reverb kits a few months ago and am just getting around to building them up.

I am finding the the kit supplied Tip/Sleeve input jacks, the style that is similar to the Switchcraft S11 open frame jacks, seem to be very resistant to accepting a 1/4" TS plug. I have to shove the plugs in with great force and I imagine that anyone having a first encounter with the jacks on the pedals I have built would feel unsure that the plug would actually go in and might give up while assuming that something was broken.

I expect that the fit may break in over time, but for now the difference between the mono jack and the "switching" Tip/Ring/Sleeve jacks is remarkable. The TRS jack feels solid but familiar. The TS jack feels rock solid, like the plug is being squeezed in a vise.

I have inspected for clearance issues with the idea that the tip contact arm may be getting pressed against the PCB or something. The spacing looks really close but I do not think that is what is happening... but I could be wrong.

I am not writing to complain, I really appreciate the availability of the kits, and I think they sound great. I am writing to ask if I am crazy, and if there are any suggestions that may be helpful.

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:20 am 
Site Admin

Open frame jacks will usually have a tighter clamp on the plug than enclosed simply because the prongs are usually made from a thicker gage. You can try bending the prongs out a little to make them less tight.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:23 am 

^ Yep.

Might also be worth removing them from the enclosure and trying the cable just to make absolutely sure it's not related to how it's installed.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:11 pm 

Hi,
Thanks very much for the suggestions.

I just mounted the jack in a wide open panel to test it and learned that it is not inherently difficult to insert the plug, then I viewed it after reinstalling it in the Spring Reverb enclosure and determined that it does indeed press against the PCB when the tip is inserted, so I rotated the orientation of the jack and now everything feels normal and familiar.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:40 pm 

Ah, great to hear you got that sorted out. Putting that pressure on the PCB could have led to problems in the long run.

My band, Austin Hollow