Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:00 pm 

I'm curious if you might be willing to offer the Silver Pony 2 kit with the option to have audio taper instead of linear taper pots. I've tried to purchase them separately for previous builds but they never seem to be in stock. I think it would be a cool option to pick the traditional linear or a more "normal" audio taper when it comes back in stock. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:12 pm 

For the two level pots? Personally, I would leave the gain & tone pots linear because I think they function well that way. But I definitely hear (no pun intended!) where you're coming from on the boost and overdrive level controls.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:32 pm 

Yes! For the two level pots! Sorry I should have specified that better. I would love that to be a selectable option.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:04 am 

Check Amplifiedparts.com
They usually have good pots in stock.
Just ordered a bunch recently.

~Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:21 am 

t8bloom wrote:
Yes! For the two level pots! Sorry I should have specified that better. I would love that to be a selectable option.

I'll pass along your idea to Keith.

In the meantime, these folks sell pretty much any potentiometer you can think of: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/potent ... thmic.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:03 am 

If I recall, Keith is on record as saying an audio taper pot would make more sense on the volume control, but that customers are more interested in it being "authentic", meaning having the value the original Klon had. But it would be a useful option, yeah.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:27 am 

sjaustin wrote:
If I recall, Keith is on record as saying an audio taper pot would make more sense on the volume control, but that customers are more interested in it being "authentic", meaning having the value the original Klon had.

Yep, that's my recollection, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:30 am 
Site Admin

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to add that. There's already too many options. Ordering is difficult enough as it is for new customers. They don't need the added stress of deciding which pot taper to select. Besides, there's nothing wrong with the linear taper pot. It works just fine, even if a lot of people would prefer an audio taper pot. I can't please everyone all the time and modifying the pedal to your exact preferences is one of the primary reasons for DIY pedal building.

I do apologize for not having A10k pots in stock. That's not a very commonly used value, so we don't keep a lot of those in stock. FWIW, if I was going to change the volume pot, I'd use an A100k instead of an A10k, and we usually always have those in stock.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:38 pm 

byoc wrote:
...FWIW, if I was going to change the volume pot, I'd use an A100k instead of an A10k, and we usually always have those in stock.

Keith raises a great point here! SteveO and I recently exchanged some email on this topic, so allow me to pass it along here. It's a VERY important fact about how pots are used in effect circuits that took me w-a-a-a-y-y too long to recognize:

Pots are almost always used in one of two ways--as a variable resistor (i.e. a rheostat) or as a voltage divider (a true potentiometer). In the former usage, there are only two wire connections, one to the wiper (middle lug) and one to one or the other of the outer lugs. The wiper is usually jumpered directly to the other outside lug, though not always. The resistance across the pot can then be varied between zero and the pot resistance value. In this application, the rating of the pot is critically important for the pot's function.

But a voltage divider works fundamentally differently. The idea there is to split the voltage (could be AC or DC) and send it to two different places. This is how a volume control works, sending a portion of your signal to the output and the remainder to ground. What is important is the ratio of the two resistances between the wiper and the outer lugs, not the absolute value of the pot's rated resistance. So you don't have to use a particular pot value for a voltage divider! If you happen to be out of 100K pots when needing a volume control, a 50K or a 500K will do just fine.

Just check the schematic of the effect you're building to see if a given pot is wired as a voltage divider or a rheostat. If the former, you have flexibility on the rating of the pot you use. If the latter, stick to the specified value.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:06 pm 

Wow thank you very much for this excellent explanation. I really appreciate the detail here and I certainly appreciate why you wouldn't want to make the ordering processes any harder- particularly now armed with this new understanding. This really makes good sense, thank you again for helping me understand this much more!