Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:50 pm 

I'm considering attempting a (first) build from a BYOC kit, particularly the Klon circuit. I'd like mine in a great big box though. For no other reason than I like big pedals and I don't get into the "pedalboard real-estate" discussion, I use 0-2 pedals at any given time.

I'm wondering if I can mount the 3 pots and switch etc in any box I like and disregard the included box? It appears as though the pots are soldered directly to the circuit board in a somewhat rigid way, could I simply solder on wires that go to the correct places and mount the controls as I please? Or is there way more to it that I'm not anticipating?

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered time and time again, I couldn't determine what keywords to search with. Any info appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:18 pm 

You certainly can. The drill template is up to you though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jimilee on Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:26 pm 

Yep, you can definitely do that. It's a little easier to "fly" the pots using the type with soldier lugs rather than the ones with panel mount pins that come in the kit, but it can be done with any pot.

And don't feel bad about asking. I've been on this board for a dozen years and still sometimes have trouble finding stuff using the search function.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:39 pm 

Ok so certainly do-able, and might be worth sourcing more conventional pots with the basic solder lugs on them.

The drilling I'm not particularly worried about, I have many squares etc and a drill press.

Thanks very much for the replies, I appreciate the help. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:39 am 

yella mel wrote:
Ok so certainly do-able, and might be worth sourcing more conventional pots with the basic solder lugs on them.

The drilling I'm not particularly worried about, I have many squares etc and a drill press.

Thanks very much for the replies, I appreciate the help. 8)
A drill press is a huge plus. You’re ahead of about 90% of the members here. It took me several years before I got one. Looking forward to some great builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:50 am 

One minor thing to keep in mind with alternative enclosures: If you use a non-metallic material (e.g. plastic or wood), you can't ground anything through the enclosure. For example, some of the BYOC kits are constructed such that the output jack grounds through the enclosure back to the input jack, which won't work with a non-metallic enclosure. So you would need to run a wire from the output jack sleeve tab over to the corresponding tab of the input jack, or another point in the circuit connected to that ground.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:24 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
One minor thing to keep in mind with alternative enclosures: If you use a non-metallic material (e.g. plastic or wood), you can't ground anything through the enclosure. For example, some of the BYOC kits are constructed such that the output jack grounds through the enclosure back to the input jack, which won't work with a non-metallic enclosure. So you would need to run a wire from the output jack sleeve tab over to the corresponding tab of the input jack, or another point in the circuit connected to that ground.

Noted, though for what it's worth my plan is to just use the bigger size aluminum Hammond box (1590XX). I also changed my mind and decided to attempt the Blues Breaker circuit rather than the Klon. Maybe I'll put up a picture if/when I finish it.

Thanks for the replies