Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:28 pm 

Many years ago, at least 10-15, I built a pedal from a kit that I believe was from BYOC. I have attached a pic in case any of you recognize the circuit and can tell me what it is?

It has LEVEL, TONE and DRIVE pots and a 3 position toggle switch to select different kind of clipping sounds. I mounted two sockets on the board to allow me to experiment with different diodes and LEDs. Maybe a TS type pedal with some different clipping options? It's pretty good actually. I have the clipping options pulled out of the two sockets at the moment.

Any idea what pedal/kit this is?

I was hoping to get a refresher on what to try for LEDs or diodes for different clipping sounds. Any recommendations would be great. It's been so many years I can't remember what I tried and what sounded good.

Attachment:
Mystery Pedal.jpg
Mystery Pedal.jpg [ 442.37 KiB | Viewed 1345 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:54 pm 

Looks like a tube screamer, but if it's the BYOC one it's from before my time. Those sockets must be for LED clippers (currently NO clipping).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like a tube screamer, but it has clipping: asymmetrical silicon diode clipping. And that's not a BYOC kit. I think it's a GGG kit.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:10 pm 

I'm trying to get the three position switch to give me some different clipping options but can't figure out what I can put in the two sockets and whether what goes in there needs to be oriented one specific way?

It looks like to the left of the two sockets are some tiny diodes soldered directly to the board into what is labeled D1 and D2. The two sockets are installed into D3 and D4.

I've tried a couple of diodes and LEDs in the sockets but get muted or no sound in all three positions of the switch. Then nothing works until I completely power down and unplug the pedal, remove the diodes/LEDs and then power it up fresh again. After that it's back to working with just the one type of sound in all three switch positions.

Are D1 and D2 the main permanent clipping diodes of this design that are always on? What can I put in D3 and D4 and in what orientation to get some different sounds.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:56 pm 

Definitely looks like the GGG Tube Screamer. There's a bunch of info on that page that may be helpful as you try to sort this out.

(BTW: we BYOC folks are generally happy to talk about any DIY project, including stuff made by "the other guys," so I'm not saying get lost. :mrgreen: Just trying to give you anything that might help.)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:00 pm 

Ah ha, I found it on GGG. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. I pulled the sockets and installed LEDs / Diodes directly into the board with the correct polarity and it works with all switching positions. :D

I really appreciate the help.