Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:10 am 

Is there a way I can find out which kits are easier? I sometimes see comments on the site about specific pedals not being easy (e.g. the L'il pedals), but I can't see how to tell in general. Is there a list somewhere of which ones are easy? My most complicated thing I've ever done is to wire a guitar with a push/pull pot :-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:38 am 

In general, the kits with fewer components and hardware (pots & switches) will be easier to build. Those also are among the least expensive kits, for obvious reasons. A few that come right to mind are the Classic Fuzz, Classic Overdrive, British Blues and Tremolo. The reason that the "mini" pedals are not great choices for novice builders (despite being inexpensive) is because they are cramped for space and thus put a premium on good build technique.

If you have a particular type of pedal you wish to build (e.g. a fuzz, a delay, a modulation effect, an envelope trigger, a compressor, etc.), let us know that and we can point you to one of the easier ones.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:56 pm 

Thanks! I'm most interested in a chorus or other type of modulation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:08 pm 

I would recommend against chorus as a first build. They tend to have high parts counts and are more complicated electronically, making them trickier to troubleshoot than some other types of effects. If you think a tremolo would scratch your modulation itch, the BYOC trem is a superb sounding pedal, and it's got a very low parts count. It was my first build over a decade ago, and it still gets used today.

That being said, you can definitely successfully build a chorus as your first build. It requires patience, good attention to detail, and better than average soldering skills (better than average for a newbie, anyway). Whatever you choose, we'll be here to help.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:33 pm 

Thanks, I will pick up the tremolo.

p.s. Nice solo on "Fly" :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:35 pm 

Thanks, bud… I will be tracking that solo for the full length album version this week, so I'll carry your encouragement with me. :mrgreen:

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:04 pm 

So my first build was the Parametric EQ, which is not easy, especially from a getting it into the enclosure standpoint.

Here is my advice as I build the Green Pony as my second build.

1. Read the build documents carefully, they are excellent and will save your butt if you get confused.

2. Check values twice, solder once, ie before you solder be certain the right component is in the right place.

3. Speaking of soldering, get yourself some pad per hole perf board and some cheap wire and practice. Seriously, the ability to make a clean, well flowed joint is required, no matter how easy the build is. Get to know your iron, your solder, and how they behave. On my second build my joints are so much better.

4. When all else fails ask in the forums, the people tech support area are amazing and will get you going. That’s what I had to do after I burned up a trace.

Best of luck with whatever you choose