Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:15 pm 

I have a Tumnus Deluxe that I slam with a 27v boost and it sounds great. I’ve been tempted to pick up and build the Silver Pony 2 and get rid of the Tumnus Deluxe, but hesitate because the Tumnus Deluxe has the three band eq, which I find useful and helpful to have to shape the overall tone. I haven’t used a Klone with just treble. Asking the impossible question: will I miss the three band eq of the Tumnus Deluxe if I replace it with the SP2? Anyone have experience comparing the two?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:44 am 
Site Admin

I'll try my best to be unbiased, but I am trying to sell you something so take it with a grain of salt. I used to make a series of pedals that were all the classic go-to clones with their tone knobs replaced (if they had one) with a 3-band EQ with parametric mids. As is, the Klon actually has the infrastructure for a 3-band active Baxendall EQ. It just only has the treble knob. I would assume the Tumnus deluxe simply added the bass and mid knobs to the pre-existing circuitry. I've never played the Tumnus, but assuming it is similar to the Klon clone I made with a 3-band EQ, my personal take on having the additional control over the EQ was less about correcting too much or too little of a particular frequency, and more about transforming the base tone into something it otherwise couldn't be.

The Klon is naturally extremely mid range heavy. So what I'm saying is that if you're using the 3-band EQ to dial in more of a flat or even scooped midrange tone, then you are going to miss having it. If you just use it to balance out the highs, then having a 3-band EQ may be superfluous.

Something to consider: The Silver Pony II has an independent clean boost channel which would also eliminate your need for the 27V boost, but it is POST or after the drive channel. You can move it to a PRE position, but you'll need to deviate from the standard wiring.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:41 pm 

Thanks, Keith. That is very helpful. I don't touch the mids knob at all on the Tumnus. Occasionally, I will move the bass or treble knob at max 1/8 of a turn in either direction from noon. I think I may be answering my own question here and maybe the hangup is giving up the potential of a 3 band EQ, even though I don't use it to its fullest. And I may indeed change the order of the boost (or make it switchable) on the SP2 (I got helpful hints from others here) and keep the 27v (although I plan to rehouse it in a larger case).

I've put together the Larger Beaver Ram's Head and the 27v. Would love to round it out with an SP2 as those are my only three pedals in my chain (other than tuner and looper).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Like I said, the Klon has a treble knob. Not a "tone" knob like on a big muff or DS-1, or low pass like on a RAT or OCD or Blues Breaker, but an actual active boost/cut 1-band EQ. So it's pretty useful for controlling the highs. And you can very easily add a toggle switch to boost or cut the bass response, so while it doesn't have the gradient that a knob would have, you can add a bass control without too much trouble. The regular silver pony kit doesn't come with the parts, but the PCB has the infrastructure built into it for the bass response and clipping mods, so if you're wanting to still use the 27V, maybe housing both in a larger enclosure and using Stephen's Flipper to swap the boost order is another option.

If you still want to have a 3-band eq here's an example of an active baxandall circuit. If you compare it to the klon schematic, you should see that the two are nearly identical with the exception of the bass and mid pots, caps and resistors. It would be possible to use solder lug pots for the bass and mid knobs and then point to point wire the extra components directly to the pots.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:08 pm 

Interesting idea to put a regular SP with mods into a larger enclosure with the 27v as a boost. How does the 27v boost compare to the SP2 boost? Is it possible to add a bass boost/cut to the SP2?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

850Special wrote:
Interesting idea to put a regular SP with mods into a larger enclosure with the 27v as a boost. How does the 27v boost compare to the SP2 boost? Is it possible to add a bass boost/cut to the SP2?

Aside from the treble control, the 27V boost and the boost channel on the SP2 are pretty much the same. Circuit-wise they are very different in that the 27V is a single non-inverting op amp, whereas the SP2 boost is two inverting op amps. But ultimately, they both run at a 27V differential, so they are very clean, transparent, and neither invert signal phase. They both do the same thing, but take different routes to get there.

Yes, it is possible to add all the same mods from the SP1 to the SP2. The SP2 comes with the clipping mods as a stock feature.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:31 pm 

byoc wrote:
Yes, it is possible to add all the same mods from the SP1 to the SP2. The SP2 comes with the clipping mods as a stock feature.

Cool! This would be something I'd try. A SP2 with an added bass boost/cut and a rewiring of the boost with a switch to have it pre/post. Any resources you can point me to on the bass boost/cut mod?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:41 am 

850Special wrote:
...And I may indeed change the order of the boost (or make it switchable) on the SP2...

This post shows how to wire the footswitches to either put the boost in front of the overdrive permanently or to make the effect order switchable: viewtopic.php?p=126000#p126000 Though I created these diagrams for the old BYOC Overdrive 2, it works the same way for the SP2. If you want the effect order to be switchable, you'd need to add a third 3PDT switch.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:57 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
850Special wrote:
...And I may indeed change the order of the boost (or make it switchable) on the SP2...

This post shows how to wire the footswitches to either put the boost in front of the overdrive permanently or to make the effect order switchable: viewtopic.php?p=126000#p126000 Though I created these diagrams for the old BYOC Overdrive 2, it works the same way for the SP2. If you want the effect order to be switchable, you'd need to add a third 3PDT switch.

Yep, saw that very helpful post earlier. Still wondering if there is anything out there on adding a bass boost/cut switch to the SP2.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:20 am 
Site Admin

You want to use a toggle switch to change the value of the C4/82n cap. It's already fairly thin as is, so I wouldn't "cut" it anymore than it already is. Use a SPDT on/off/on toggle to put a 100n and 330n or 390n in parallel with C4.

If you want to cut and boost bass, change C4 to 47n and use the toggle to place a 47n and 100n in parallel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:52 pm 

byoc wrote:
You want to use a toggle switch to change the value of the C4/82n cap. It's already fairly thin as is, so I wouldn't "cut" it anymore than it already is. Use a SPDT on/off/on toggle to put a 100n and 330n or 390n in parallel with C4.

If you want to cut and boost bass, change C4 to 47n and use the toggle to place a 47n and 100n in parallel.

Ok just to make sure I understand. To add a bass cut and boost, I should remove the 82n cap at C4 and replace with a 47n and 100n in series using a toggle switch. I assume 47n and 100n aren’t the only values I can put in there and more your recommendation to achieve what I’m looking for?

Is C4 what I have identified on this attached image? Still learning how to read schematics.

Attachments:
IMG_2520.jpeg
IMG_2520.jpeg [ 230.35 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Yes, and no. You've identified the correct capacitor. But you change it's value by adding capacitors in parallel, not series. Well....you could do it in series, but it would be a little more difficult. The bottom line is, you increase bass by increasing the value of that cap and cut bass by reducing its value. There are several ways to skin this proverbial cat.