Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:34 pm 

Hey folks. Just built the Crown Jewel. What a great overdrive section! I seem to like it best without any added clipping but the clipping choices are great to get other kinds of dirt. I ordered and installed the Hard Clipper module. I'm finding that even with the gain turned right down, there's just too much dirt for what I'm looking for. I should have ordered the 27v clean boost. But...Question...can I take the diodes out of the circuit and just jump the contacts so that I only get gain and not more dirt? Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:17 pm 

You can remove the diodes, but DON'T jump the spaces, or you'll send all of your boost module signal to ground! Just leave the diode spaces empty. Better yet, IMO, put them on one side of an on-on DPDT switch so that you have both diode and no-diode options.

Another possibility would be to install single in-line (SIL) sockets in the diode eyelets and experiment with different diode types. The stock germanium diodes have a very low forward voltage threshold, so they clip the most signal and thereby introduce the most distortion and compression. Try higher forward voltage types like silicon diodes (1N4148, 1N914), MOSFETs, or LED's and see if one of those gives you the combination of gain & grit that you like.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:17 pm 

Thanks for that very clear and helpful response. I'll take them out first, then maybe try the other options. What I really wanted was a clean boost and I thought that, as with my Silver Pony, I could dial back the gain to basically a clean boost but that doesn't seem to be how this little circuit works. In terms of the options you suggested, what's your opinion on which clipping option would get me what I'm looking for...basically a clean boost until I get closer to the limit of the boost?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:32 pm 

1949george wrote:
...In terms of the options you suggested, what's your opinion on which clipping option would get me what I'm looking for...basically a clean boost until I get closer to the limit of the boost?

Probably a pair of LED's, because of their very high forward voltage threshold (2.0+ volts).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:42 pm 

You're likely right. Tried no diodes. Lost upper mid and high frequencies. Tried silicone diodes, still too gainy. Don't have any LED's on hand but will give them a try. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:34 am 

Yes, small fee LED's have made the situation a bit tamer and usable. I'm still going to have to order the clean boost module for what I'm looking for. Thanks again for replying.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 am 

1949george wrote:
....I'm still going to have to order the clean boost module for what I'm looking for.

Either the 27V or the 18V JFET should do the job for you, with plenty of clean gain on tap. And if you want a bit of grit coming in at higher settings, the LPB module is a good way to go. Heck, at only $10 apiece, why not get all three?? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:33 am 

All three indeed! The 27v is the cleanest of the bunch and it is LOUD. It almost stayed in my CJ but got bumped by the Mimosa module which adds a level of versatility to my system that 'simple' boost cannot. YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:40 am 

I'm a huge fan of the Ge Boost myself. It is FANTASTIC for super heavy playing. I agree though, the 27V Boost is a beast, and the JFET is also a great option.