Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Offensive Directions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:25 am 

I have bought and built a couple of the micro pedals from BYOC now. I love the pedals, but I find part of the directions very offensive. At the end of all the micro pedal kits that I have built is a picture of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs with a caption that reads "Buffalo Bill says, 'Be sure to tuck really well!'" As a transgender woman this is very offensive. Media portrayals of transgender people like Silence of the Lambs contribute to the the misunderstanding, discrimination, and violence that our community faces. I'm sure it was meant as a joke, but we are real people and we are not a joke. Some of us are your customers and I do not think that anyone deserves to be reminded of the hatred directed at them when they purchase a product from you.

P.S. There is nothing funny about tucking. I would invite anyone with testicles to try to get them back up inside and then tell me how funny it is.

Post subject: Re: Offensive Directions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

All guys, whether they are transgender or not, have tried tucking. So all men know what it's like, whether we're willing to admit it or not. That's what makes it funny...to me at least. But I get the point you were making. I very ignorantly assumed that even someone who was transgender would see it as a "we're laughing with you, not at you" sort of joke. While most of us know what the physical discomfort of tucking (just to see what it feels like) feels like, most of us don't know what the emotional discomfort of tucking because we need to feels like. So I can completely understand why the joke would be offensive to you. I'm very sorry. That aspect never crossed my mind. It certainly wasn't intended to hurt anyone. I try keep my own personal political and social views separate from BYOC, but for what it's worth, I fully support equality for all people and if I had ever thought that this would make someone feel like they weren't as deserving of the same rights that I take for granted, I can assure you that I would have never made that joke. So I sincerely apologize. We will remove it from all the mini kit instructions as soon as possible.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:19 pm 

A most thoughtful reply to a most thoughtful complaint. I do hope that Dkeener remains as part of this community, we would certainly be enriched by it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 pm 

It took a lot of guts to make the original post of this thread.
It also took a lot of guts to reply as Keith did, make a heartfelt apology, and offer to make amends.
Good on both of you!

For what its worth, Buffalo Bill was not transgendered. No one in the "Silence Of The Lambs" was transgendered, IIRC. Buffalo Bill had applied for sexual reassignment and was turned down, due to his violent and unstable nature.

Like MMarsh, I hope DKeener stays, and sees Keith's reply as one that says you are welcome here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:40 pm 

hylandren wrote:
For what its worth, Buffalo Bill was not transgendered. No one in the "Silence Of The Lambs" was transgendered, IIRC. Buffalo Bill had applied for sexual reassignment and was turned down, due to his violent and unstable nature.

I don't believe sexual reassignment is a defining characteristic of identifying as transgender. Some transgender people may seek such a procedure but many chose not to. Don't know much about the movie character, though, so I can't say for sure if BB was supposed to be trans or not. But, certainly people's attitudes over portrayals of trans people in pop culture have evolved since the early 90's. I threw away my skin suit years ago.

(j/k I still have it)

Last edited by MADBEAN v.2 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:56 pm 

I’m just thrilled that there is a real live breathing woman on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:59 am 

I don't think it was offensive.

It got my attention and made me aware of trying to keep the wires neat as possible. So it was successfull in it's purpose

If BYOC decides to remove the photo maybe they can replace it with some type of cartoon character like you sometimes see in Asia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:15 am 

Ribspare wrote:
I don't think it was offensive.

Offense is in the eye of the beholder/reader. I think Dkeener gave a very clear account of why she, as a transgender woman, found those directions offensive. And I think Keith responded appropriately, including his commitment to remove that section from the mini pedal instructions. IMO, changing from a photo to a cartoon doesn't address the fundamental issue that was raised.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:44 am 

^ this - could not have said it better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:39 pm 

well done all around! I think it's a great idea to retire that joke from the instructions, and I do hope Dkeener feels good about the response and outcome to her very valid concerns (and sticks around the forums with us, and builds more pedals :D ). Just another reminder that this place is full of nice people.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:16 pm 

was this a hit & run , no follow up post ? to anything that anyone is not happy with , if you put it out there, Follow through!