Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:32 pm 

To start I'd like to say that although this isn't the first pedal I've built, this is my first BYOC pedal. I haven't completed my build yet, but that being said I'm a little bit disappointed with the kit.

For starters, I would have really liked to see the original power filtering on the -9v source of the circuit. Admittedly, the OD820 -9v power was originally over-built, but having at least an option to put in the 1N400X diode and at least 1 of the filter caps (let alone the two 220uF caps) would have really been nice, but as the PCB layout sits, I'm not seeing any room to break a trace somewhere and add the diode while producing a satisfactory and reliable result. Granted, without having completed my build, I doubt this will have any noticeable effect the tone in any real sense, but having some filtering on the -9v should at the very least hopefully spare some unnecessary long-term wear and tear on the op-amps.

Secondly, the actual silk screening of the PCB is difficult to follow with the schematic, as the individual components on the PCB aren't labeled with their respective components, and instead have a value printed. While this may be helpful to inexperienced pedal builders, this makes it tricky to swap out part values based off the schematic which has the components conventionally labeled and leaves you guessing as to where it might be on the PCB without going through some difficulty in tracing out the circuit. Which brings me to my next complaint: On the schematic the 2nd op-amp right before the tone control is labeled as a TL072 (wrong) and as IC2b, and without tracing the circuit I assume is actually op-amp 1a?

Finally, the kit I received came with a mix of "box" poly film capacitors and "Panasonic style" poly film capacitors and a pair of TI RC4558P op-amps. While this is really just me nitpicking at this point, I would have preferred seeing visually "matching" film capacitors (either all "box style", or all "Panasonic style") in addition to the classic JRC4558D chips. Also, some sticky foam or plastic or something to put on the back of the pots to totally eliminate the possibility of them shorting on the back of the PCB would have been great.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:20 pm 

That's a huge help! thanks!