Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:09 pm 

There are lots of overdrives I like and enjoy, but I keep coming back to the Boss OD-3. BYOC already offers the "parent" of the OD-3, the Blue Overdrive (BD-2 clone). My understanding is the OD-3 is essentially an evolution of some of the design ideas in the BD-2. To my knowledge, the topology of the BD-2 and OD-3 are fairly unique in the crowded overdrive stompbox world (specifically, the use of differentials or essentially discrete op-amps).

I actually thought to do this myself, as the OD-3 schematic is readily available on the web. The problem I ran into is that all the transistors used in the OD-3 are not readily available, current production parts. I started to search for equivalent parts, but wasn't able to find obvious drop-in replacements. So I think the challenge is for someone with actual circuit building experience to figure out what characteristics are most important for the transistors used in the OD-3 circuit, and find acceptable substitutes. Depending on what's available, I suspect other parts of the circuit may need to be tweaked to accommodate the replacement components.

I personally think the OD-3 is nearly perfect, though there I times I think a bass trim pot would be nice (like the Timmy, or Aion's Nobels ODR-1 clone).

Anyway, just throwing it out there!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

I can't make a kit for something that sells new for $99 and doesn't have any sort of vintage mojo mystique around it or isn't something that people want to modify. People just aren't going to want to build an OD-3. Maybe if someone records a song with it that makes it famous, or people start sending them out to have $100 worth of mods done to it, then I'll consider it.

The OD-3 really isn't anything at all like the BD-2 other than the one clipping stage. You don't need to use the exact same part #'s. You can use 2N5457 for the JFETs, 2N5088 for the NPN BJTs, and 2N5087 for the PNP BJTs. Just about any dual op amp will work in there as well.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:59 pm 

byoc wrote:
I can't make a kit for something that sells new for $99 and doesn't have any sort of vintage mojo mystique around it or isn't something that people want to modify. People just aren't going to want to build an OD-3. Maybe if someone records a song with it that makes it famous, or people start sending them out to have $100 worth of mods done to it, then I'll consider it.

Understood, just thought I'd throw it out there!

byoc wrote:
You don't need to use the exact same part #'s. You can use 2N5457 for the JFETs, 2N5088 for the NPN BJTs, and 2N5087 for the PNP BJTs. Just about any dual op amp will work in there as well.

Thank you! I'll work on hacking up a PCB with these part substitutions, see how it goes.

Thanks again!