Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:57 pm 

I completed my first pedal last night. I've been a fan for a long time but lacked the courage to get into it myself. I had a friend in college build me a Classic Phaser kit circa 2004/5ish and it's been a mainstay on my pedal board ever since. I decided that I wanted to give it a go this year, so I bought a PINCIL iron with several tips and a few other goodies and resolved that I would build my first pedal this year. Took a bit for the iron to get stateside from mainland China, but once it landed I played with it a bit and started shopping for which kit I wanted to start with. I have long wanted a Divided Octave pedal but decided that might have been a little ambitious, so I started out with a Classic Overdrive kit. The instructions and photos made this a breeze. I've got a bit of experience soldering up guitars/basses for repairs/pickup replacements/etc. but never any experience with PCBs or resistors/capacitors/etc. Y'all know how to make it hard for a guy to screw things up. Only thing I'm going to add to my toolkit at this point would be a good magnifying implement. At 40-years-old my eyeballs are just not what they used to be, but I made due and taking my time yesterday and it went together much easier than I thought it would. Obviously the more complicated the circuit and more densely packed the enclosure the tougher it'll be, but I think I'm hooked. Pedal worked on the first try last night and sounds great!!!! I'm still not too sure on the Divided Octave kit, but the Spring Reverb kit just came back in stock and the Classic Compressor looks like a winner too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:42 am 

Oh, you're hooked all right. Welcome aboard, and nicely done. We all know the feeling you are experiencing now :D Spring Reverb kit is pretty easy and very rewarding.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:44 am 

Nice job! Welcome to the forum, and your new addiction. Hope to see more build reports from you in the future! Happy playing.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:26 pm 

Can you tell me more about your pencil iron? The small size is intriguing. Congrats on your first build! I hope to do one soon.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:48 pm 

Wait... what??? I am the only one that's wants to see a 'gut' shot??? Are you all sure that it's not just a re-purposed Behringer?!? :mrgreen:
BilboCarter, it is customary to show us the insides as well. Scott, Jeff.... you guys are slipping! :lol:
Welcome to your new addiction! I built my first pedal in January of 2021 and just completed pedal #40 (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60312) this week. I also built my first electric guitar this year as well. Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your next build!

-=Steve0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:53 am 

SteveO wrote:
...I built my first pedal in January of 2021 and just completed pedal #40 this week. I also built my first electric guitar this year as well.

What, no amp builds??? AMATEUR!!! :twisted: :wink:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:08 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
What, no amp builds??? AMATEUR!!! :twisted: :wink:

Ouch! :mrgreen:
Been saving my penny's for a new "Tele" (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard) but may have to rethink that. I was headed down that rabbit hole many months ago but with supply issues being what they were, kits were hard to come by. However; I see Stewmac and Mojotone now have a few in my price/skill range. Stay tuned... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:25 am 

SteveO wrote:
Been saving my penny's for a new "Tele" (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard)

You can save yourself $600 with one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard

And if you don't like the looks of that particular version, there are several other colors available in that model....

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:18 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
You can save yourself $600 with one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ingerboard
And if you don't like the looks of that particular version, there are several other colors available in that model....

Dam*it! I guess the amp will have to wait. I didn't purchase that particular one but I did purchase one. I am going to have the neck Plek'd so I'm not sure how much lead time that will add to the delivery date. Stay tuned for NGD photos! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:35 pm 

SteveO wrote:
Wait... what??? I am the only one that's wants to see a 'gut' shot??? Are you all sure that it's not just a re-purposed Behringer?!? :mrgreen:
BilboCarter, it is customary to show us the insides as well. Scott, Jeff.... you guys are slipping! :lol:
Welcome to your new addiction! I built my first pedal in January of 2021 and just completed pedal #40 (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60312) this week. I also built my first electric guitar this year as well. Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your next build!

-=Steve0

HAHAHA, I'll have to get some in-progress shots. I'm up to 5 now. I've got the Silver Pony, Leeds Fuzz, Divided Octave, Spring Reverb, and the Classic Overdrive above. Loving it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:45 pm 

Homebrewski wrote:
Can you tell me more about your pencil iron? The small size is intriguing. Congrats on your first build! I hope to do one soon.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

It's a Pinecil from Pine64. I got it because it uses the same tips as the TS100. Level1Techs has a good review on it on the YouTube. It's a pretty nifty little unit and give you a lot of control for as small as it is. I use a 65W USB-C brick to power it. It's easy to work with on my automotive projects too, i.e. under the dash, etc.