Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:24 pm 

So I bought a bunch of b.y.o.c pedal kits. Then I realized I hadn’t bought a fuzz. Got all excited about the Modded Fuzz. Lots of references to how Modded Fuzz can also be called Classic Fuzz in the literature, on the PCB.

Ended buying 2 of them
Guess which ones I got today.

Sure wish there was no confusion about names. I was genuinely interested in gifting them to folks but now I’m not sure.

Maybe pick a name, stick with it and save me making a $200 error.

Thanks for letting me vent.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:59 am 

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit thick about this, but I'm not clear on what you're describing here. Could you please restate what you thought you were buying vs. what you actually received? Thanks!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:34 am 

Firstly, bought from Axe-etc, not direct. Last week bought 5 pedals, forgot fuzz. Watched videos for Modded Fuzz… there was mention that the Modded Fuzz was formerly known as the Classic Fuzz. Then I read the build instructions for the modded fuzz… the instructions and the pcb mentions Classic Fuzz … shown on the instructions (from the description ;
**This kit was originally called the Classic Fuzz. The name changed in 2023. Some videos and pictures will still refer to this kit as the Classic Fuzz.)

When it came time to order, I was so used to the names being interchangeable- I ordered the “Classic Fuzz”https://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/product/byoc-classic-fuzz-kit
Instead of the “ModdedFuzz” https://www.axeandyoushallreceive.com/product/byoc-modded-fuzz-kit

My mistake, but I’m thinking it’s an easy one to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:30 pm 

Ah, OK, got it. I assume you're aware that both are the same basic Fuzz Face circuit; it's just that the Modded Fuzz gives you some more tonal flexibility between the external Bias pot (the Classic has a bias adjustment, too, but it's a trimpot on the PCB) and the 3-way Full-Thin-Fat tone switch. But the Classic version is still a fine sounding silicon Fuzz Face circuit. I'm not minimizing the point you are making re: the source of confusion, but I would still have no qualms about gifting the Classic Fuzz to my guitar-playing friends!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:27 pm 

Oh I’m not whining too loud. I’ve already assembled most of the first one & sprayed primer on the enclosure. If it sounds fuzzy I’ll be good. I was just hoping for external bias. I’m too new to the game to figure out how to do that myself. Still I’m hooked and happy with BYOC pedals. Great forum here. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:26 pm 

Itspiv wrote:
If it sounds fuzzy I’ll be good. I was just hoping for external bias.

FWIW, I personally don't find the external bias control to be all that useful, and I run the tone switch on the "Full" setting probably 90% of the time. I have an original version of the Classic Fuzz that has the 3-way toggle and the internal trimpot, and I really find the latter to be a "set it & forget it" feature....but that's just me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:33 am 

I’m an old guy but fairly new to pedals. Got the Carcosa fuzz for the spitty gated sound that I love…. apparently only for a few minutes then I dial it smooth… maybe Dallas Arbiter clone smooth? No pedal will go to waste. Anyway thanks for replying & happy belated birthday, hope it was grand.