Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 808 tone mod ???
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:49 pm 

Has anyone tried using a different value capacitor in place of the .22 tant cap in the tone circuit of the 808? Some of the schems floating around mention swapping this out for a film cap of different value, i've seen b/w .18 and .1uf. has anyone tried this and have any comments on it? 'preesh...

d

Post subject: Re: 808 tone mod ???
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

DonCorleone wrote:
Has anyone tried using a different value capacitor in place of the .22 tant cap in the tone circuit of the 808? Some of the schems floating around mention swapping this out for a film cap of different value, i've seen b/w .18 and .1uf. has anyone tried this and have any comments on it? 'preesh...

d

I haven't tried it myself, but from the schematic, it looks like it would possibly affect the "q". A smaller value would center on a high frequency and a larger value would center on a lower frequency.

Can't hurt to try. Let us know if you find out anything.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:37 pm 

Alright, so i tried this out. I put a .1uF film cap in place of the .22 tant cap in the tone circuit and it's kinda cool. Not mind blowing or anything, but cool nonetheless. I always felt that the 808 tone circuit was too dark for HBs anyway, and this helps out some by giving a little more open sound to the upper registers, the overall tone is not quite as compressed, but it's very subtle. I guess that's what I would say about this mod, it's subtle and definitely doesn't change the nature of the basic 808 tone at all. Between this and the 2k pot I do feel like there is more control there, especially on the 3:00+ part of the sweep, and I'll probably keep it in for awhile to do some more LOUD experimenting. If you're finding the 808 to be a bit dark for your HBs, give this a shot. Thanks to Jack Orman's site for the idea.

d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:21 pm 

DonCorleone wrote:
Alright, so i tried this out. I put a .1uF film cap in place of the .22 tant cap in the tone circuit and it's kinda cool. Not mind blowing or anything, but cool nonetheless. I always felt that the 808 tone circuit was too dark for HBs anyway, and this helps out some by giving a little more open sound to the upper registers, the overall tone is not quite as compressed, but it's very subtle. I guess that's what I would say about this mod, it's subtle and definitely doesn't change the nature of the basic 808 tone at all. Between this and the 2k pot I do feel like there is more control there, especially on the 3:00+ part of the sweep, and I'll probably keep it in for awhile to do some more LOUD experimenting. If you're finding the 808 to be a bit dark for your HBs, give this a shot. Thanks to Jack Orman's site for the idea.

d

Don...

Have you thought about adding the "Tone Blend" mod from the FrankenFuzz project?

Check-out Dan-O's diagram 1/2 way down the thread here, you'll see the multi-Cap based "Tone Blender" idea. I'm not sure where to add it to the TS808 circuit but I'll bet someone here can tell you:

http://buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1132&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:44 pm 

baj2k wrote:

Don...

Have you thought about adding the "Tone Blend" mod from the FrankenFuzz project?

Check-out Dan-O's diagram 1/2 way down the thread here, you'll see the multi-Cap based "Tone Blender" idea. I'm not sure where to add it to the TS808 circuit but I'll bet someone here can tell you:

http://buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1132&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

I was only curious if anyone had tried Jack Orman's mod, and Keith asked for a review if I tried it. I'm not looking to get into anymore than that, I'm getting what I wanted out of the pedal now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:54 pm 

Quote:
I was only curious if anyone had tried Jack Orman's mod, and Keith asked for a review if I tried it. I'm not looking to get into anymore than that, I'm getting what I wanted out of the pedal now.

Great to hear it worked for you. I just thought that maybe this could work like a variable tone adjustment to compensate for "Dark thru Bright" Single Coil / HB pups. Might make the TS808 more versatile tonewise.

I had the same results you did, dark with HB but sounded great with SC's. Maybe I'll do it on mine. I have a BYoC TS808 kit in queue on the bench right now anyway. All I need is the "From - To" layout from someone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:29 pm 

Another thing to try if you're finding the 808 a little dark is to not use the .22 "flat mids" cap, and instead use a .1uf there as well. Not as woofy with the HBs with a .1 or even the stock .047 as it is with the .22, which i think works best for full range SC sounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:05 am 

baj2k wrote:
DonCorleone wrote:

d

Don...

As for the tone blend mod, does that basically turn the pot into a variable cap using the 2 values or an I mistaken (It's probably too good to be true)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:41 am 

Quote:
As for the tone blend mod, does that basically turn the pot into a variable cap using the 2 values or an I mistaken (It's probably too good to be true)

Yup, that's what she does... :D

p.s. Only I call it the FrankenFuzz... (see my avatar and you'll know why) Dan-O calls it the FuzzLab Junior. I'm rather partial to my name but Dan-O did build it after all... first one on the beach gets to plant the flag and all that :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:38 am 

I'm not finding the Screamer to be dark for my HBs. I have a Suhr DSV on my Surh Classic and a Suhr SSH+ on my Heritage "les paul" type. With the 2K pot, I've found that I actually had to back off a bit.

I'm glad you brought this subject up... just reveals more about how you can mod the circuit to taste!!