Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Delay mod questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:02 pm 

I plan on building the delay pedal as soon as I get it and have a few really quick and hopefully simple questions. What size of pot should I be looking for if I want to modify the delay (I guess the shaft diamater is the important part here, right?). Also, is the delay pot logaritmic or linear?

Next question has to do with the self oscilation mod, I saw it described and a schematic for it in tandem with the adding an fx loop, but what about just adding it to the stock pedal? Anyone have a schematic for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:20 am 

I think it's a matter of adding a different resistor. I forgot which one, though. I'm no help.

Post subject: Re: Delay mod questions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 am 
Site Admin

dream_noir wrote:
I plan on building the delay pedal as soon as I get it and have a few really quick and hopefully simple questions. What size of pot should I be looking for if I want to modify the delay (I guess the shaft diamater is the important part here, right?). Also, is the delay pot logaritmic or linear?

Next question has to do with the self oscilation mod, I saw it described and a schematic for it in tandem with the adding an fx loop, but what about just adding it to the stock pedal? Anyone have a schematic for that?

The pots that come with the kit are 16mm

The pedal if build "stock" will self-oscillate. The kit comes with an extra resistor so that it won't self-oscillate. This is explained in the instructions.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Post subject: Re: Delay mod questions
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:56 am 

Quote:
The pots that come with the kit are 16mm

The pedal if build "stock" will self-oscillate. The kit comes with an extra resistor so that it won't self-oscillate. This is explained in the instructions.

Sorry Keith, but its not on the instructions. The first thing in the instructions is to "ad all the resistors" with no mention of self oscilation or not. The instructions on the website are updated ?

My kit came with an extra resistor but there is no room for it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:32 am 

It's in the fully loaded delay instructions.

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Oh. I'm sorry about that. I'll have to update that....along with several other typos in other instructions. I'll have to start a typo report thread.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:38 pm 

Thanks for the help on the pot, but for the self oscilation mod I was refering to the extra pot to control it as described here: http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/ ... ight=delay

I really should have been clearer in the first place.

I understand the schematic, but since it is for the fx loop modded pedal I'm slightly confused about one little thing. I understand that he added a 10k linear pot to control self oscilation. I assume to wire it up for a pedal without the fx loop you'd keep it relatively the same, the R2 connection off the board would go to lug 2 on the oscilation pot. Lug 3 on the oscilation pot would then be wired up with a 4k7 resistor to lug 2 on the repeat pot. This leaves the repeat pot wired up and only lug 1 on the oscilation pot not wired. This is what I'm unclear about, it's wired up with a few different things including the fx loop ground to the connection on the board labeled "jack". Would I just wire it up to that connection of the board (or well, to the input jack ground, which then goes to there)? If someone can clear this up for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm also assuming both the delay and oscilation pots are linear...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:12 am 

dream_noir wrote:
I understand that he added a 10k linear pot to control self oscilation. I assume to wire it up for a pedal without the fx loop you'd keep it relatively the same, the R2 connection off the board would go to lug 2 on the oscilation pot. Lug 3 on the oscilation pot would then be wired up with a 4k7 resistor to lug 2 on the repeat pot. This leaves the repeat pot wired up and only lug 1 on the oscilation pot not wired. This is what I'm unclear about, it's wired up with a few different things including the fx loop ground to the connection on the board labeled "jack". Would I just wire it up to that connection of the board (or well, to the input jack ground, which then goes to there)? If someone can clear this up for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm also assuming both the delay and oscilation pots are linear...?

I've updated that diagram a little - the osc pot is just a series resistor with lug 3 clear. In my diagram, L1, R1 and S1 on the board are unused because these are ground connections, and I wired those directly from the jacks.

"Jack" on the board is for ground connection. Just wire one to the input sleeve and the other to the output sleeve.

Yes, the pots are lin.

Here's a simplified diagram (btw - this is not called a schematic):

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:35 am 

Thanks, that cleared it up nicely for me.