Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:25 am 

Wanted to verify something I'd speculated about in another thread- adding a wet/dry blend control to the BYOC Flanger.
It's a very useful control, especialy if you play bass, as it provides an option to subtly blend in the effect, which greatly expands the already very wide range of sounds this pedal will produce.

The mod simply involves removing three resistors and substituting a pot at the junction of R25, 26 & 27, but I found it also required the addition of a couple of resistors to balance the various signal levels too.

With the depth control set low, I found this configuration (50K pot and 15K and 18K resistors) matched the bypass volume and provided a range from totally dry to very wet.

I obtained these resistor values by rigging up four 50K pots, one as the blend control, and one on eachpot leg. Then hacking them into my pedal, fiddling with them, and finaly desolering and measuring their values.

To provide room for the pot, I relocated the DC jack about 5mm higher, then installed the wires, pot and resistors. I used a small piece of vero as a junction board. You could just as easily heat shrink them too.

Keith, if you're reading this, perhaps you'd consider changing the driling template a little, and move the dc jack enough to leave enough room for a 5th pot.
As you can see here, even though the spacing of the original holes was a bit wonky, there is room enough to place the dc jack between the in and stereo outs.

Despite the halfmoon DC glory hole, the mod also lends a pleasing symmetry to the control layout. Here it is, all buttoned up.

BYOC Flanger Schematic

codtone.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 pm 

Nice mod,could this be applied to other pedals for a bass mod?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:00 pm 

Short answer: No

Slightly longer Answer: A blend control is a great option for any effect, and especially bass effects. Depending on the curcuit, the best implimentation will vary from device too device. In this case the curcuit lent itself to a simple solution.
There are lots of ways to add a blend control, if you search the 'Vault' you'll find layouts for the simple Buff 'n' Blend and (probably the ultimate), the Paramix. The B Blender is a good middle ground too.

codtone.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 pm 

Here are the three most pertinant accompanying pics to my OP.

Updates to my 3808 remaining posts will be by request, and prioritized on a case by case basis... :(

Attachments:
IMG_9821sm.jpg
IMG_9821sm.jpg [ 264.77 KiB | Viewed 5735 times ]
IMG_9830sm.jpg
IMG_9830sm.jpg [ 329.18 KiB | Viewed 5735 times ]
IMG_9826sm.jpg
IMG_9826sm.jpg [ 232.43 KiB | Viewed 5735 times ]

codtone.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:34 pm 

Thank you very much! :-)
I'd personally like to see the other 3867 pictures :-)

My first thought would be to place the blend where the switch goes and place the switch in the middle (where you put the blend knob). Would that work? Or am I missing something here?

Really cool that you reposted the pics!
:-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:52 pm 

Tom wrote:
My first thought would be to place the blend where the switch goes and place the switch in the middle (where you put the blend knob). Would that work? Or am I missing something here?

That would probably work too. I did it this way because;
a) I'd already soldered the pots and toggle switch and didn't want to desolder,
b) clearance between the switch and board would be tight (normally those switch lugs go through the board)-unless the switch is mounted with a lot of thread on the outside - a look I don't particularly care for.

There's possibly room where the board is cut away for the DC adaptor though...

codtone.com