Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PEQ: two mid channels?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:43 am 

For my double bass piezo pickup, the mid freqs are the troublesome ones, and I don't really need the High freq channel of the PEQ. I would like to have two Mid channels. Is it a simple matter of component substitution to convert the High frequency channel to a second Mid channel? If so, can I order my PEQ kit with this mod's parts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 am 

First thing to consider is that the Mid and High channel overlap a bit Mids up to 2.5K Highs down to 1.1K so if you are most concerned with the 250hz to 1.1K range to be where you want to focus, then you could change some parts. BUT having 2 mid controls seems a bit counter intuitive to me since they would theoretically effect each other if they are too close. I'm trying to figure out what you are trying to do. Remember that with an EQ, if you are cutting/boosting a frequency, you are actually cutting/boosting everything around it within a range. An EQ is like a bell curve with a frequency set as a peak, but it is not in isolation.
The second question: You can order extra parts from the store if you would like to make mods, but the kits ship as is and they won't swap out parts.
-P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:28 pm 

I'm also confused on how you would use this, but to answer your question...
stefaniw527 wrote:
Is it a simple matter of component substitution to convert the High frequency channel to a second Mid channel?

Yes. It is a matter of changing ONE capacitor! :D Like P said, no they will not modify the kit, but you can buy alternate parts in the parts store.

Also - you might find the fet preamp to be really useful as well. If you clip out the input pulldown resistor, it has an insanely high input impedance, has a bunch of gain on tap, and works great with transducer pickups. The 2-band EQ is also surprisingly powerful; it boosts mids when the bass & treble are turned down, and scoops mids when the bass & treble are cranked. There is no control over specific notches though. But I've had really good luck with it as a tool to get passive acoustic guitars, mandolins, fiddles, and standup bass into the PA with a decent signal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:25 pm 

I want to notch two separate freqs in the MID range. Really ... just one capacitor?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:47 pm 

stefaniw527 wrote:
Really ... just one capacitor?

I'm sorry (god - I'm such an IDIOT!) it's TWO caps. :lol:

The only thing that differentiates between the 3 bands are the values of 2 caps in each band. For the Low freq, it's C5 and C6, for the mids it's C10 & C11, and for the highs it's C15 & C16. All you have to do is change either the low or high freq band caps the mid values and you'll have 2 midrange bands that you can tweak the Q and boost of.

http://byocelectronics.com/byocPEQscheme.pdf