Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:28 am 

I'm looking for a new delay pedal with a built in clean adjustable gain boost (to use it as an all-in-one lead boost in the fx loop) and options are fairly limited so I wondered how easy it would be to add this mod to a byoc digital delay & echo kit? I have a bit of experience with pedals/electronics having made the byoc tubescreamer and rewired my fair share of guitars over the years so I'd like to give it a shot!

So can it be done and if so, how? If adding it to the analog delay is easier I don't mind doing it that way, just the dig seems a bit cheaper.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:51 am 

Swapping R8 (10K) with a pot, to say B100K, should give you a way to control the output of the pedal. This boost will only apply when the delay is on, and may introduce distortion however.
If you want a separate boost, building a little vero LPB-1, or similar, on vero and tucking it in there attached to the output would be the way to go I recon.

codtone.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:42 am 

Ah ok cool I may try swapping the resistor to a pot then - how does that work exactly, just connect up the pot lugs to where the resistor should be with some wire?

I don't mind a bit of distortion and not having an independant boost as I never play properly clean and would like to add a little delay to all my lead work anyway as I think it fattens up the sound a bit.

Just had a look at the digital echo kit instructions, which resistor is R8? I'm not too good at reading schematics haha. There's a lot of 10k resistors by the looks of things!

edit - I may actually just go for the classic delay as it seems a bit simpler inside! Is it still R8 to control the output or something different?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:33 am 

This thread has PCB maps/layouts for all the BBD, Delay, and Reverb effects. These are super handy for times like this and can be found as "sticky" posts in the support sub-forums.

(The output level is very likely not determined by R8 on the Classic Delay, by the way. The numbering of components is based on where they appear in the schematic/signal path, not the function they perform.)

My band, Austin Hollow