Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:25 pm 

I am interested in modding a BYOC Classic Overdrive. In an old post from 2014, Keith stated this:

"I personally prefer changing that .047uf cap to a .22 or .33 instead of the .1uf. This gives it even more low end on tap and more drive. It also allows you to use a smaller resistor than the 2.4k that Keeley uses, allowing for even more gain on tap. And instead of changing the 51k to a 20k, you might as well change it to a 10k to make it even cleaner."

So if I want a little more bass and drive, all I have to do is replace the .047uf polyester film capacitor to a .22uf or .33uf?

Is is also recommend to replace the 51k resistor to a 10k resistor as well?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:19 pm 

The cap change will allow more bass through but will not affect the circuit gain. To do that, you'll need to lower the value of resistor R7 on the labeled PCB diagram below. But know that when you do that, it will also affect the bass rolloff frequency of the pedal. So you have to know how much to raise the value of that C4 cap to get the bass rolloff where you want it to be when you lower the R7 value for more gain. I would suggest reducing R7 to 1K and increasing C4 to 470n--that will give you ~5x as much maximum gain (that's not as big of a change to your ear as the 5x value would suggest) while dropping the bass rolloff frequency from 720Hz to 339Hz. I find that to be a nice compromise of gain and bass for the circuit, though "YMMV."

As far as the other resistor (R6) goes, that one controls the minimum gain of the pedal, and is also affected by the value of R7. To keep the minimum gain the same as the stock pedal, drop R6 to 10K if R7 goes to 1K. If you want it even cleaner at minimum gain setting, drop it to a 1K. At that point, it's basically an op amp boost with the drive pot all the way down.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:04 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I would suggest reducing R7 to 1K and increasing C4 to 470n

Ok. I will do that. I'm going to the BYOC site to buy the the Classic Overdrive kit.

In addition.....this is the exact 2 components I should also buy at the BYOC spare parts section:

1k ohm resistor and .47uf polyester film capacitor.

For clarity, is that correct?

Also, the 10 K ohm resistor too (at R6) to keep the minimum gain the same as the stock TS 808

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:23 pm 

Yes:

1 - 1 Kohm resistor (1/4W 1% metal film)
1 - 10 Kohm resistor ( " )
1 - 470n polyester film cap

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2