Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:49 pm 

I was looking through older byoc instructions for the analog chorus. One of them explained a mod where the 100n cap is replaced with a switch with three different capacitor values that vary the speed of the rate knob.
I was wondering if anyone had tried this mod on he newest version of the analog chorus?
Were any cap values changed for the new version or will adding a switch and caps in place of 100n cap have the same effect?

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

In every single LFO circuit I've ever seen, there is always a capacitor (or capacitors) that set(s) the overall speed. And it is always the same: the larger the capacitance, the slower it will go, and the smaller the capacitance, the faster it will go. I can't tell you want values to use, but I can tell you that, yes, changing the 100n cap will affect the LFO speed. Just keep in mind that if you use a larger cap because you want the LFO to go slower, then yes, it will make the slowest speed slower, but it will also make your fastest speed slower as well, so you will lose the "top end". And the opposite will happen if you use a smaller cap. You can't make the range any wider, you can only shift it in one direction. That is why you usually a fast and slow cap on a toggle switch when you do this sort of mod.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:22 pm 

byoc wrote:
In every single LFO circuit I've ever seen, there is always a capacitor (or capacitors) that set(s) the overall speed. And it is always the same: the larger the capacitance, the slower it will go, and the smaller the capacitance, the faster it will go. I can't tell you want values to use, but I can tell you that, yes, changing the 100n cap will affect the LFO speed. Just keep in mind that if you use a larger cap because you want the LFO to go slower, then yes, it will make the slowest speed slower, but it will also make your fastest speed slower as well, so you will lose the "top end". And the opposite will happen if you use a smaller cap. You can't make the range any wider, you can only shift it in one direction. That is why you usually a fast and slow cap on a toggle switch when you do this sort of mod.

Awesome thanks. I have a two way switch with three points on the bottom. Do I have one wire go from the middle point to the board and then put the caps one on each end point and connect them to one wire which goes the other point in the board?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:05 pm 

I would recommend the use of an on-on DPDT switch. Solder one cap each across the pairs of lugs one each end of the switch and connect the two middle lugs to the cap eyelets on the PCB. This gives a much more secure connection for the two caps than having one leg hanging off an SPDT toggle switch and wired back to the board.

Here's a diagram showing the basic switch layout, though this one is for the use of different diode combinations for signal clipping, rather than for changing cap values, as you want to do:

Attachment:
clip_switch.gif
clip_switch.gif [ 4.1 KiB | Viewed 3689 times ]

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2