Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

This was from an email correspondence with a customer who wanted to modify his Li'l Reverb. I figured I'd share it here as well.

The FV1 has 8 different programs, however a couple aren't worth trying. #5 is nothing...it's just a test program. It simply allows the FV-1 to pass dry signal. And then there's a second reverb program, but it's absolutely no different than the first. But the other 5 programs are neat. Personally, I'd go with the chorus/reverb (a shimmer verb if you will), pitch shift, or pitch echo. I don't really care much for the tremverb and the flangetrem. And while the pitch echo is very cool, it doesn't have a repeats control. You'd have to add a feedback loop to control the repeats, and even then, the minimum repeats would only be as few as the "stock" repeats, i.e., you can add more repeats, but you can't do less.

The pitch shift is the easiest to implement, because you'd just need to rearrange a a single resistor on the PCB and cut one trace, so I will discuss that. It only has 1 parameter to control, so it only needs one pot connected to the FV-1, which you already have. And because the Li'l Reverb has a dry signal split and a wet signal level, that makes it even better. The Chorus Reverb would require you to add two more pots to fully utilize it. Although one of the pots is "mix", which you would already have with the existing Li'l Reverb's level pot, so I guess you would really only need to add one more additional pot. Anyhow...

To turn the Li'l Echo into a pitch shifter, you need to:

1. Cut the trace on the back of the PCB that says "cut here to access other programs".
2. Remove the R23/22k resistor. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39391 click on this link and scroll down a ways till you see the PCB map for the Li'l Reverb to find R23.
3. Connect the empty right side R23 eyelet (the eyelet closest to the "3" in "223") to ground. The easiest ground connection would be the negative "-" DC adapter jack eyelet.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:18 am 

The link referenced is dead. Anyone have a PCB map to show which resistor to remove?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:13 pm 

mrdavenixon wrote:
The link referenced is dead. Anyone have a PCB map to show which resistor to remove?

Looks good from here. Is this the image you mean?

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:34 pm 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:47 pm 

what's the range of the pitch-shift? would it do a clean octave up? and would it track well?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:15 am 
Site Admin

powerpopguy wrote:
what's the range of the pitch-shift? would it do a clean octave up? and would it track well?

It's been a while, so I don't remember exactly. I want to say that I don't recall it being capable of octaves. I want to say it went up or down 5 semi-tones (looking at the datasheet now, it says it does -/+ 4 semitones). I don't remember noticing any shortcomings in the tracking. It's digital, so it should track well and be clean. IIRC, it always has the dry signal mixed in. Not sure if there's a way to split it. TBH, I'm not really sure if it did have a dry signal mixed in.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com