Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:19 pm 

I recently ordered a Crown Jewel, though I am competent enough to follow directions and wield a soldering iron, I am not savvy enough to create my own circuits (at least not beyond the innards of an electric guitar). With this limitation in mind, I had a great and seemingly simple idea to enhance the versatility of the Crown Jewel for ERG (extended range guitar) fans like myself. The idea of a dry blend is truly a savior for those who wish to maintain more clarity amidst their dirt, but what I would like to try and figure out is how to place a simple crossover before the dry blend so only clean lower frequencies are blended back into the distorted signal. There seem to be a fair number of “multi-band” distortion boxes out and about, so I assume this is possible, nor do I believe it should be too difficult (but what do I know anyway). Being able to clean up the low end of an extended range guitar while still allowing the mids and highs to scream full bore sounds perfect to me... Anyone have any ideas if this idea can be implemented in the Crown Jewel, if so what would be the most effective and simple way to accomplish such a goal?

This is my first post... If I broke any forum rules, I am sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

What you want to do should be very simple. It should just be a matter of adding one capacitor to create a low pass filter in the dry signal path. Keep in mind, that this is purely theoretical....I haven't actually tried this myself. You just connect one end of a capacitor to lug 3 of the blend pot and the other end to ground. It uses the 22k resistor that is already in the signal path to create a low pass RC filter.

First thing...what frequency to do you want to roll off at? http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm Here's the link to an RC (resistor/capacitor) filter calculator. Enter 22000 (22k) for the resistor value and whatever frequency you want to roll off at, and it will give you the capacitor value you need. A .022uF will give you a corner frequency of 329Hz. Keep in mind that this is only 6dB per octave, so it's not going to cut quite as hard as a "crossover".

If you wanted to create a 12dB per octave at 338Hz, you would need to put two 6dB filters in series. The trick here is that you need to keep the total resistance of R1 (from the dry blend board schematic) about 22k. So you could use two 10k/.047uF filters in series in place of R1.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:30 pm 

This is a very helpful response! Almost everything I need is contained in this response (aside from the parts :wink: )! I am going to try this at some point after the build is complete. I know I should do this during the first build for cleanliness sake, but I want to ensure things are working properly first. This mod will be a game changer for me, as some of my ERG’s go as low as E1 or B0. Being able to clean up the low end will make distortion more useable without splitting the signal into stereo (using multiple pickups for high and low string sets).

Thank you friend!