Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:41 am 

Hi all
Due to the situation in Europe, I have more time on my hands to build pedals :-)
Options are great, too many options are killing me, so please help me out :-)

I started populating this pcb and then noticed all the options to make the pedal more suitable for single coil.
As I use these pedals as a demo for other players, it's always nice to have a switch so they can try with their instrument. That's why I add gtr/bass switches wherever I can on the BYOC pedals.

For this particular build I could be nice to add a switch so you can toggle between HB and SC.
My question is: which options do I include? Mods 1-3 as Keith proposes? I could use a 3PDT to toggle between 2 sets of 3 caps at once?
(if I manage to get the toggle in. I don't like toggles on the side of the enclosure. But if I put the pcb high enough, there should be room for the toggle, I think.)
Optionally, I could then route the toggle to a pierce of board where I can socket these caps (and maybe change values later). I could sacrifice the batter space for this.

What do you think? Worth the trouble/effort?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm 

Well
I finally got to it.
I did the first 3 mods (C1, C4, C6) and added a 3PDT toggle to choose between the stock 10nF and the "SC" 47nF.
I don't like toggles on the side so I had to raise the pcb to get the toggle underneath.
So the PCB 'floats' on top of all this. I might get shorting issues, but for now i don't :-) Let's see how long this holds.

I have some questions to improve my future builds (i'm always eager to learn):

GENERAL
Any general improvements/comments?

TOGGLE PLACEMENT
i'd like to try if it's possible to add the switch to the back of the panel. I have the feeling that shifting both jacks a little to the sides AND dropping the DC jack between them (not the standard BYOC one, but the smaller ones), might just leave enough room for a toggle where the DC jack is now. Anyone's done this?

BATTERY
When you don't use the battery, you can omit the battery clip, but can you also omit the ring connection from the INjack and/or the (+) connection of the DCjack? I really should take some time to figure this out someday... I know, it should be easy to understand...

VEROBOARD
Is this even a veroboard?
I'm just 'MacGyvering' with what I have lying around, but I'm pretty sure there most be simpler/neater ways to do this.
- I don't even know how to cut the board :-) How do you do it?
- then I have top drill 4mm holes for the white plastic 'thingies', and then i use jumpers and stuff, not tidy at all.
Any comments? Tips?

More pics in my ShowOffYourCompletedBuild - post.

Attachment:
047 - Breaker - IMG_2566 - S.JPG
047 - Breaker - IMG_2566 - S.JPG [ 205.88 KiB | Viewed 6235 times ]

Attachment:
047 - Breaker - IMG_2570 - S.JPG
047 - Breaker - IMG_2570 - S.JPG [ 216.73 KiB | Viewed 6235 times ]

Attachment:
047 - Breaker - IMG_2575 - S.JPG
047 - Breaker - IMG_2575 - S.JPG [ 199.62 KiB | Viewed 6235 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 pm 

Tom wrote:
TOGGLE PLACEMENT
i'd like to try if it's possible to add the switch to the back of the panel. I have the feeling that shifting both jacks a little to the sides AND dropping the DC jack between them (not the standard BYOC one, but the smaller ones), might just leave enough room for a toggle where the DC jack is now. Anyone's done this?

Personally, I just go with side-mounted toggle switches, because it is so much easier to do. And you can get short-lever switches so that they don't stick out so far and are much less prone to damage. Not sure they make a short-lever 3PDT toggle, though.

Tom wrote:
BATTERY
When you don't use the battery, you can omit the battery clip, but can you also omit the ring connection from the INjack and/or the (+) connection of the DCjack? I really should take some time to figure this out someday... I know, it should be easy to understand...

Same basic question came up in another thread today: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58584

Tom wrote:
VEROBOARD
Is this even a veroboard?
I'm just 'MacGyvering' with what I have lying around, but I'm pretty sure there most be simpler/neater ways to do this.
- I don't even know how to cut the board :-) How do you do it?
- then I have top drill 4mm holes for the white plastic 'thingies', and then i use jumpers and stuff, not tidy at all.

Yeah, it's a type of vero board. And there's nothing wrong with MacGyvering a solution to add functionality to an existing pedal kit or to a finished pedal. There are no points for tidiness, just TONE! :mrgreen: You can cut vero board by scoring it with a utility knife and then snapping it off, or use a cutting wheel in a Dremel tool or similar. There are other ways, too, I'm sure.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2