Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:24 am 

I have had a BYOC Analog Chorus for a few years and I really like it. I've recently had the thought that it would be cool to add a blend knob (similar to the Walrus Audio Julia's D-C-V knob), and I've simulated the output stage of the pedal with the wet / dry summing amplifier as follows:

This doesn't go 100% Dry or 100% wet, but it does keep the volume of the blend within 1 dB regardless of where the knob is. I want to try this mod out, but I can't figure out where the correct resistors are on the PCB. I need to replace R8 and R23 with a 100k pot and a 10k resistor, but the instructions don't list the part names, just their values. I know that the resistors I need to remove are two of the following 6, but I really don't want to trace the circuit board or trial and error which are the correct resistors.

Does anybody know which resistors on the layout are R8 and R23? Are there BYOC layouts with the part numbers labeled instead of the part values? Also, does anyone have any tips for blend knob functionality like this? Is there a way to get ~100% one channel or the other without having a huge volume spike?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hyliandeity on Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:28 pm 

Moved this thread to the correct sub-forum and corrected the display coding for the two images.

Re: the question about resistor positions, here's the labeled PCB map for the Analog Chorus from THIS THREAD. (It's actually the map for an earlier version of the current AC design, but the component placements are still the same.)

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:39 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Moved this thread to the correct sub-forum and corrected the display coding for the two images.

Re: the question about resistor positions, here's the labeled PCB map for the Analog Chorus from THIS THREAD. (It's actually the map for an earlier version of the current AC design, but the component placements are still the same.)

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! My pedal is old enough that this is the same board revision that I have as well haha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:33 pm 

HTH. FYI, most of the BYOC kits have a PCB map and the corresponding circuit schematic posted in a "sticky" thread in the sub-forum for their effect type.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:59 pm 

hyliandeity wrote:
Also, does anyone have any tips for blend knob functionality like this? Is there a way to get ~100% one channel or the other without having a huge volume spike?

The BYOC Bass Chorus is essentially the same circuit but with a blend control added. Check out the schematic below. The original & a PCB map are in that same thread that I linked above, and there's a high-res schematic here: http://byocelectronics.com/basschorusschematic.pdf.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:35 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
hyliandeity wrote:
Also, does anyone have any tips for blend knob functionality like this? Is there a way to get ~100% one channel or the other without having a huge volume spike?

The BYOC Bass Chorus is essentially the same circuit but with a blend control added. Check out the schematic below. The original & a PCB map are in that same thread that I linked above, and there's a high-res schematic here: http://byocelectronics.com/basschorusschematic.pdf.

Thanks for this, it was really helpful!

I initially did this mod with a 100k pot I had lying around, but it gave a slight volume boost and made it much easier to accidentally distort the circuit no matter how much I played with the trimpot, so I ordered some 10k pots to lower the volume. Here are some pictures of the final build:

One of these days I'll actually paint the enclosure. I've only had the pedal for 5 years now (wow time flies...). Anyway, it works really well!