Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:56 pm 

I’ve been through the search function for mods to add more gain and treble to the Shredder—it sounds really good, but I have these two knobs maxed right now. The gain mod seems pretty straightforward in that I need to put a lower value resister in R4 (someone recommended something in the 5K range). I’m a little less sure on the treble mod though. I’ve seen some mentions to changing the cap values of C15 and/or C16. Does anyone have any recommendations for specific mods/values to save me, who’s essentially a monkey with a soldering iron, some time experimenting and probably ruining my Shredder?

Also, the newest circuit boards for the Shredder no longer label parts like this as R4 or C15/C16, but I found this cheat sheet in another thread.

Attachments:
7EDB8A6A-8517-49E4-ABF6-6D794EF178E3.jpeg
7EDB8A6A-8517-49E4-ABF6-6D794EF178E3.jpeg [ 486.65 KiB | Viewed 10467 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Decreasing R4 will give you more gain, but only marginally. You'd get more gain by increasing R5 to a 1M. Perhaps even better would be to decrease R2 to a 1k. This will simultaneously give you more treble as well. Changing C16 won't give you any more treble, but decreasing C15 will give you more treble. Technically, it will restore treble, since it's there to reduce treble. Maybe try a 820pF cap instead of the .001uF.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:59 am 

That’s extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:02 am 

byoc wrote:
Decreasing R4 will give you more gain, but only marginally. You'd get more gain by increasing R5 to a 1M. Perhaps even better would be to decrease R2 to a 1k. This will simultaneously give you more treble as well. Changing C16 won't give you any more treble, but decreasing C15 will give you more treble. Technically, it will restore treble, since it's there to reduce treble. Maybe try a 820pF cap instead of the .001uF.

I just realized R2 and R5 aren’t marked on the above PCB. I don’t suppose you could help point me toward the right components, could you? I’ll try really hard to stop asking for any more hand-holding after this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:26 am 

I don't find a PCB map either, but if you look in the schematic in the instructions you can find R2 and R5 over on the left, respectively 3.3k and 680k. There seem to be only one resistor of each of these values, so looking on an image of the unpopulated PCB (as in the instructions, or in your post above) you can find out where they are. I hope this helps! (They are very near each other, just to the left of the IC in most of the images in the instructions.)

Last edited by WMP1 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:37 am 

SweetClyde99 wrote:
I just realized R2 and R5 aren’t marked on the above PCB. I don’t suppose you could help point me toward the right components, could you?

As they say in the movies, "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." :wink: :lol:

Seriously, you can answer this question for yourself, since the instructions contain all the information you'll need (while this is often not so, it's true in this case). From the schematic (pg. 24), note that the values of R2 and R5 are 3.3K (or 3K3) and 680K respectively. Now look at the parts checklist (pg.5) and you'll see that there is only ONE resistor of each of those values in the kit. So refer to the resistor PCB map (pg. 7) and FIND 'EM!! Easy-peasy!!

EDIT: WMP1 beat me to it! :evil: :wink:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2