Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:46 am 

So I have a Crown Jewel kit on the way as it pretty much fits what I am looking for in a single pedal. But I'd like to mod the Drive switch so it can control both the Drive and the Boost at once. Pretty much a global On/Off. This way, the boost is in its last position (on or off) when I hit the Drive switch. I do not want the boost to be independent of the drive section.

I've looked at the schematics and I know electronics. But I've thought about it too much and have muddled my brain. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

So do you want the "boost" switch to be useless? You want just one on/bypass switch?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:51 pm 

No......I don't want the boost switch to be useless per se' as I don't want the boost on all of the time. I do not need to access the boost unless the drive is on.

Say I'm playing a song where I switch between clean and dirty. Dirty side has booth the drive and boost engaged. When I hit the drive button, both the drive and boost turn off. When I hit the drive button again, both turn on. However, maybe I don't want the boost for the song the entire time....maybe just for a lead bit. So I hit the drive button and no boost engaged. Lead time comes up, and I hit the boost to engage it. Going back to clean, both are disengaged. The Uberschall pedal is a good example of what I'm looking for in controls (not much in the tone department).

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Ah. I see. You want to be able to turn the boost on and off, but you don't want the boost channel to be independent of the drive channel.

The pre/post switch complicates things so that this cannot be done physically, i.e., there's no way you could modify the pedal. Unless you know how to program microcontrollers. This mod can be done, but the code in the microcontroller needs to be changed.

I actually think this mod is worthwhile and I would write the code for it. I'd make it so that upon power up, it defaults to "independent mode". But if you hold down both footswitches upon power up, it would go into "non-independent mode". Unfortunately, I've got year end stuff to do, and a half dozen instructions that need major updates at the moment. If you bump this thread in another month or two, we can revisit this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:54 pm 

byoc wrote:
Ah. I see. You want to be able to turn the boost on and off, but you don't want the boost channel to be independent of the drive channel.

The pre/post switch complicates things so that this cannot be done physically, i.e., there's no way you could modify the pedal. Unless you know how to program microcontrollers. This mod can be done, but the code in the microcontroller needs to be changed.

I actually think this mod is worthwhile and I would write the code for it. I'd make it so that upon power up, it defaults to "independent mode". But if you hold down both footswitches upon power up, it would go into "non-independent mode". Unfortunately, I've got year end stuff to do, and a half dozen instructions that need major updates at the moment. If you bump this thread in another month or two, we can revisit this.

Yes!!!! That is exactly what I am looking for and want to do The mode switching is something that I was thinking of but didn't mention. This would be a great mod and I'm happy that you are on board with it! I think that a lot of people would use it if it was available. I will certainly bring it back up in a month or two.....put me on the list for the chip!!

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:26 pm 

@BYOC Keith.....just a bump.....been a month.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:51 pm 

Keith is out of the office until Wed. but should be back in touch with you on this question then.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

I've started working on it. As I'm getting into it, I'm finding it's a bit more complicated than just turning two switches on and off independently. I mean, I knew it would be, but the lines of code are starting to pile up. The code/logic isn't the problem. The flash memory, or lack there of on such a simple MCU might end up being an issue. Anyhow...I'm working on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

So there are going to be a couple limitations.

The first limitation is physical. Because the status LEDs and their respective relays are connected to the same I/O, you cannot bypass a channel while having that channels LED still on. So this means that while in "non-independent mode", the boost status LED will always be off when the drive channel is bypassed regardless of what state the boost channel is/was in previously. So you'll just have to remember what state the boost channel was in when you turn on the drive channel.

The second limitation is flash storage. There's only so "smart" I can make this thing. When the drive channel is in bypass, the boost foot switch will become completely dead. This means, if the boost was on when you last had the drive channel on, and then you bypassed the drive channel BUT you wanted to turn the boost off so that the next time you turn the drive channel on, the boost will be off....you cannot do this. Whatever state the boost channel was in when you bypassed the drive channel is what state the boost channel will be on when you turn the drive channel back on, regardless of whether you press the boost channel foot switch or not.

Hopefully that makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:09 pm 

Thanks for looking into this!

Both points make total sense to me. I am still interested if you are willing to give it a shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

I'll check back after I finish the code and test it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:18 pm 

byoc wrote:
I'll check back after I finish the code and test it.

Thanks!! Just let me know and we will figure out the details!!