Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:42 am 

Hey everyone, my name is Hunter. I'm new here! Question: On my BYOC OD-2 there are internal trimpots for minimum and maximum gain, and I have them both down as far as they can go. I believe the resistor values are 100k for minimum gain and 10k for maximum gain.

I'm considering building a Green Pony, which doesn't have the OD-2 trimpots. Would it be possible to change the resistor values in the drive section to match the settings on my OD-2 trimpots? I can't read circuit diagrams, so I'm not sure where these resistors are in the circuit, and I don't know what I should change them to make the gain lower. Can someone smarter than me help?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:23 am 
Site Admin

The Green Pony (OD-820) doesn't need the "minimum gain" mod because it doesn't have a minimum gain limiting resistor. The gain goes all the way to zero as it is. Furthermore, the OD-820 has a dry blend. It's part of the gain knob. It's a dual gang pot. As you turn down the gain, you turn increase the dry signal.

So while you can't modify the minimum gain, you can increase or decrease the maximum gain. The R8/2k2 resistor controls this. Increasing the value will decrease maximum gain. Reducing the value will increase maximum gain.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:10 am 

Revisiting this thread after a few months of owning this pedal. First of all, LOVE it! I went ahead and decreased the maximum gain with a 4.7k resistor in the R8 spot. Now there is a more pronounced volume dip around 10:00 on the drive knob, presumably because more of the (now quieter) overdriven sound is being blended into the clean. I'm wondering if there is a way to increase the input volume/gain to the drive section so that there is less of a volume drop with the lower gain? You're talking to someone who doesn't know how to read schematics, but if you tell me what to do with my soldering iron I can do it! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:53 am 
Site Admin

R11/56k and R9/20k are the wet and dry blend limit resistors respectively. These resistors control the signal levels going into the mixing amp. So you would not want to increase the input signal going into the distortion amp. You'd want to increasing the amount of wet signal going into the mixing amp. You'd do this by decreasing the value of R11. To what value, I couldn't tell you. Maybe a 47k would be a good place to start.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com