Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:58 pm 

What's that? Blasphemy you say?
I have a Large Beaver Ram's Head that I would like to tone it down just a bit.
I run it with the sustain almost all the way down and it is close to what I am looking for.
Is there a simple mod I could try?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:58 am 

Yes, this should be pretty easy to accomplish. Refer to the RH schematic--the gain of the individual transistor stages is determined by the ratio of the collector and emitter resistor values. So, for example, for the first transistor gain stage, those values are 10K (R6) and 120 (R4) for a ratio of ~83. So try raising the value of R4 to reduce that number. I would suggest removing the existing resistor and installing single inline (SIL) sockets in the two eyelets, which will allow you to "audition" a number of different values. I'd start with 1 Kohm and go up or down from there. You may be able to achieve what you want with dropping the first stage gain, but you can also similarly adjust the 2nd & 3rd stage gains if needed. The 4th transistor is really just a low gain "make-up" stage for the loss through the tone stack that precedes it, so I wouldn't mess with that one.

Below, I've attached a marked-up diagram of the Large Beaver PCB showing the locations of the four transistor stages; while this diagram is of the Triangle variant and uses some different component values, the positions are the same on the RH board, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding those emitter resistors.

Incidentally, please limit it to one post for a single issue/inquiry in the future. I've deleted the other post that you made on this same subject.

Attachment:
LB_trannies.gif
LB_trannies.gif [ 358.9 KiB | Viewed 5663 times ]

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:52 pm 

thanks! I will try that.
As soon as I saw there was a section for "mods" I tried to delete my first post. But it seems we can't delete our own posts.