Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Green Ringer Mods
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:32 am 

I am re-vaming an older green ringer pedal that i built 9/20/05. It was my first build. I'm going to put a new finish on it. I was wondering if anybody has any mods for this pedal. I am looking for some mods on the fuzz part of the pedal not the octave effect. If anyone can help it would be great.....
Thanks,
Jerdo :lol:

Post subject: Re: Green Ringer Mods
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:05 am 

jerdohoowe wrote:
I am looking for some mods on the fuzz part of the pedal not the octave effect. If anyone can help it would be great.....
Thanks,
Jerdo :lol:

It's a ringmod that produces a fuzz sound - the fuzz and the octave are one and the same. The only mods I know of are listed at ggg.

If you want a different fuzz sound to it, just build a Red Llama/Tube Sound Fuzz at the front... aka the Purple Platypus ;-)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0007012253

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

That person sure seems to have an endless supply of supposedly out of production pedals. Makes you wonder.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:02 pm 

byoc wrote:
That person sure seems to have an endless supply of supposedly out of production pedals. Makes you wonder.

I think all the gear belonged to someone who loved guitar. Possibly either the person quit, or something happened to him that made him/her unable to play. So the person is selling all their gear, in this case for a church.

Post subject: green ringer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:45 pm 

Just wanting to know if there are any mods to change the fuzz or to make the octave more pronounced on the ringer
Thanks,
Jerdo :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:54 am 

It would be interesting to see the instructions for the byoc green ringer.
I've been working on one on a ggg board and haven't been happy with the results. Sounds like John Cage's piano.
I got a strong octave effect but it's not in tune. I'm going to check on the scope tonight to see what it's doing.
I've carefully matched the parts and tried a variety of pnp transistors. Also tried all sorts of resistor values replacing the 68k pair, but it just sounds out of tune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:47 am 

Thanks matt, it looks like the same parts were used.
Probably not much can be changed, but I'll keep tweaking.

Post subject: ringer clone
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:06 pm 

Scott, I think their are two resistors that have different values on the ggg site than the circuit board from byoc. Maybe 2.2M and 47k verses two 4.7M. I'm not sure. Check it out and see. Or maybe it's the Tonepad site I'm thinking about...

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=90

Jerdo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:50 am 

I see an extra 47k on the ggg board, but I don't think it's going to effect the tone.

I hooked mine up to an oscillascope, sent a single tone through it. It seems that changing the pnp transistor really does have the most effect on the octave. I tried a 5087 and 3906 and they had the same look. sorta like ^^^^^^ with a smaller wave right under the peaks.
I have a variety germanium pnp's I bought from smallbear for a rangemaster and these had a greater seperation ^/\^/\^/\ but all the mullards were clipping on every other wave. The best looking was a US pnp that measured 65 hfe and it turned out to be good sounding too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:30 pm 

After messing with this board for a couple of weeks I could find no way to mod this thing. I messed with every resistor and cap.
The best thing to do is make sure the dual resistors and diodes match and to use a low gain germanium PNP transistor, just as ggg recommends.

I did add this tone control kieth posted:

It had a nice effect controlling the octave but it knocked down the volume. Since there was no resistor on the ringer board that effected volume (and I tried them all) I just added a point-to-point rangemaster (without the input cap) right after the tone control. I used an internal pot, set it for unity.

That really made the ringer a good pedal for me. The tone control is very effective and the boost on the end brings out the effect. Great for slide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:16 pm 

i added what is essentially a switchable blend knob which i use to get a more subtle fuzz sound (when i want that). i tried a few pot values and could never get as intense of a ringmod sound as the original, which is why i added the switch...

the switch is located between the pot and the emitter(?) (i'm pretty sure the leg closest to the bottom of the board) of the middle transistor (i think, this was done a while ago and the pedal is not in front of me right now...). the pot is connected to ground(? again i'm pretty sure...i'll update in a few days for anyone interested)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:41 pm 

I messed up my ringer a little bit and ended up with an octave that is pathetically weak...but I've found that I love it this way because when driven by a strong booster it makes for some very cool lo-fi sounding distortion!