Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Little Dragonfire info
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:56 pm 

I always seem to have something going on. I had to put my big guitar build (from scratch type) on hold because a number of things both fiscal and time-wise came up. So...to keep my building jones satisfied, I traded some pedals for a guitar and used some leftover funds in my PP account to buy parts that were needed to make it right. Since I only had a $60 budget to do the whole guitar, I decided to try out Dragonfire parts:
http://www.dragonfireguitars.com
I had seen them around for a while, read a few good reviews and knew that their prices were better than GFS on a number of things. So I ordered a pair of pickups (Screamers in Green/Black), some trim rings and screws. I also ordered a new term bar and back plate, but had to get those on ebay since dragonfire didn't have the complete trem bar assembly I needed.
At any rate, placed my order on Friday evening Pacific Time. Total bill was $40, but was hit with $10.50 shipping as the only option :x
Since the order was made after-hours on a Friday, it wasn't until Monday that the package was processed and shipped. Package arrived today. Not bad since I am in CA and the package shipped out of OR. I think it didn't actually get out until late Mon evening.
Anyway, everything looks good. The chrome on the trim rings are solid and clean, the pups were well packaged (but only comes with a wire list; green=hot, black and bare=ground, red and white=taps) and the screw were fine. Got it all wired up and it works great. I will do a full review on the actual sound of the pups soon, but at $25 a pair, they are a steal. The only negative I have found so far are that the leads on the pups are pretty short, especially the bridge. This is the first pair of pup that I have not had to cut the leads down, so keep that in mind.
Compared to GFS (which has been a mainstay of mine for a while), they seem very similar. Eerily similar in some ways. The parts all have the some quality. I would not be surprised if they all came from the same factory, just with different specs.
I will be using Dragonfire again simply because the prices are better than GFS and the quality is the same. Also, being on the West Coast, the parts get to me faster than GFS. The shipping was a bit high, but that seems to be the case with GFS as well, but $25 per pair for pups plus shipping vs $60-$70 per pup at a retailer, it is a no-brainer for me.
In the end, Dragonfire and GFS have very similar products. I have been happy with both.
Once I get the guitar finished (a little DIY is in the mix for that) I will post a full build report with pics and reviews of all of the parts on the guitar.
-P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:05 pm 

Definitely good to know. I just picked up a body and neck off GFS' factory sale thing and I'll be needing all the bits to put it together. I've been thinking about some pups at Dragonfire but sometimes I worry about the too good to be true stuff. Being able to equip the whole guitar for probably in the neighborhood of $100-130 seems pretty sweet.