Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:56 pm 

Hi,
Would anyone know where I can buy transistor sockets in the UK?
It's for a Ge-transistor test circuit I'd like to build in addition to my pedal. I've tried Maplins without success.
I've seen several sites online, but I'd like to pay via Paypal, and those I've seen only take credit cards or have big minimum order values. Ordering from abroad would be fine too.

It was great to find the BYOC website and kits. I just received the MKII Fuzz kit (first project) and can't wait to get started. I've read so many threads on here it was high time I registered. I plan to build a tremolo too, and maybe other pedals after that.

One other question I have, what soldering irons are recommended? I have a 15W and 40W, maybe what I need is a 25W? Do people tend to use the conical or screwdriver-shaped tips? I've soldered before but nothing quite so delicate as guitar pedal components, I'll have to take things slowly and do it correctly.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:54 am 

Welcome.

Deffinately the pointy tip, not the flathead. There are some tight spaces on the boards.

The 15 watt should be fine. You might find a 25 better. The 40 is too much.
Just use solder with flux in it like 80/20. Keith's boards are awesome. Double-sided eyelets that are pretinned. It couldn't get any better!!

Have fun. Sorry I can't help with the sourcing question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:27 am 

Man, have times changed. It used to be "Anarchy in the UK"...... :D :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:24 pm 

geekmacdaddy wrote:
Man, have times changed. It used to be "Anarchy in the UK"......

..until it was banned by the BBC :D
I do want to dive straight into it, but given past experiences I'd better learn some basic rules or i'll make a hash of it. Looks like it'll be costly anyway, with all the kits I'd like to get.

Thanks for the info on the 25W iron, I'll have a look for one. It's funny that my soldering iron collection will be bigger than my current pedal collection - a ratio I aim to change.

I'm still on the lookout for a transistor socket, I realise I could probably use wires and clips but I'm unsure what is happening inside the socket (emitter/base/collector connections).
Edit>> I just re-checked the Keen diagram and that shows the connections. One other worry was that the clips attached to the transistor legs could affect the readings, or will this be fine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:22 am 

Hi Soundchaser, are the type of sockets you're after the ones at the bottom of this page?

http://www.banzaieffects.com/Sockets-IC ... c-326.html

I've used this site for several orders now, the stuff sometimes takes a week or two to arrive but it's always spot-on and labelled in individual bags. Well worth a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:32 pm 

Thanks dogblue, that's the very sockets at the foot of the page. I notice they also have SIP sockets which would be useful to try out.

Have you tended to buy in bulk from them though? I ask because they only seem to take bank transfers for payment.
The last time I ordered items from Germany (a different company) using this method, my bank charged me £20 in transfer fees, which doesn't really make sense when only ordering £5 worth of parts. Maybe I'd have to add a few tools to the order to make it worthwhile.
If they take other payment methods please let me know. I just spotted that they may do Cash On Delivery, I haven't tried that before, is it straightforward?

Thanks for the link though, it looks like a great resource for components, I may give them an email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:54 pm 

Don't know about the Cash On Delivery, I've always paid them using Paypal. Maybe the Paypal option only kicks in when you register on the site.

I've placed, and recieved, about 10 or 12 orders with these guys now and though the delivery times do vary they've always been spot on with the stuff they've sent and the quality.

I usually buy enough stuff for two or three builds at a time to reduce shipping costs which are not too bad actually seeing as it's only coming over from Germany. I would avoid the low cost DPDT toggle switches though, I've had three die on me now, a real pain in the arse to change them when you've finished a build!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:06 pm 

Paypal would be ideal for me,
I'll register on the site and look for the option, thanks for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:36 am 

hi,

was looking through the farnell catalogue and found these

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/ ... SKU=177129

this is one type of transistor socket they do...they have more....just do a search on the site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:30 pm 

Thanks for the link, I've had a look and the site will be another good resource.

I was surprised that Maplins didn't carry them, presumably because Ge transistors are uncommon now. They had everything else I needed for my test circuit, I'm interested in getting a breadboard to play around with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:48 pm 

Hey,

no worries, were are all here to help each other out!!!

don't bother with maplins, they suck....i used to work part time for them when i was a student for 4 years....they are too expensive are are getting out of the components trade and going into consumer electronics...in the UK stick to the following i'd say....cheaper and more to choose from

http://uk.farnell.com
http://www.rapidonline.com/
http://rswww.com

not order from the following but look pretty good
http://uk.digikey.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:31 pm 

I can see why they might consider leaving the components trade, it simply can't be that profitable when you consider the time taken to look out components versus the selling price. Many of these items are less than 10p. It takes sales staff away from customers looking to buy bigger items too.

I was in recently and I have to say they were extremely helpful, I had a long list of items and felt bad about the time it would take them to go looking, but the assistant seemed to enjoy it, probably made a nice change from selling DVD players. It's hard to see how it could be made more profitable, unless they installed some sort of automatic dispensing system (but again, too costly). Maybe they'll keep the components available via the web.

Cheers for the links, I'll check them out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:19 pm 

yeah your pretty much right about all that.....although maplins in not a modern company...what i mean by that is they are never in-sync with the rest of retail.....they were about a year and a half behind the chip and pin dean line!!!..they always always did things as cheaply as possible...store fittings...computers etc....where 2nd hand sometimes

they can be helpful from time to time, but the guys who used to like it (i did) and knew a bit are rare these days.....back in maplins first 15 years of trade you had to be able to design basic circuits before you could get a job...ie. psu's etc...now they have fallen in the trap of employing anybody, but trying to retain there 'expert' image, so i think they are suffering

i know in the last 2 years or so their component range has halved....but if you need something pretty basic in an emergency then you can probably go get it..and actually look at it and touch it, which is a big big bonus i guess!!

anyway....i've looked on the USA supplier sites and most seem to be able to ship to UK, mouser seems the most capable....but the shipping bumps up price and if you get caught on by the VATman when in comes, that could sting!!!...

but for now i'd stick with Rapid or Farnell....and RS sometimes!!....

i bought some of the transistor sockets from farnell...well one type of the 2 as the other is out of stock....haven't got any pcb's to try them in yet but i'll let you know if they fit.....i have a tri-boost on the way...(think that has the tranny socket)

another useful part i found at farnell was a strip connector that can be used on every connection on the pcb, so you don't have to solder any parts in at all...just these recepticals....so its great for prototyping...so if your worried about messing with strip board...you can buy an extra byoc pcb and have a play knowing the circuit is perfect

pricey but worth it....

farnell part 972-8937

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/ ... KU=9728937

hope that helps somebody!!!

:D