Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:37 pm 

Hey Guys

I am looking to spend $50-150.00 max or what ever it will cost me to get a good stock on all the common Resistors, Cap's and Diodes for pedal builds.
Would anyone that feels so kind please list for me what I should buy.. I would like to get 50-200 of each depending on price.

I would also like to make sure they are of good quality.

So if it does not take you too much time please make me a list with some links to the seller's also would be really useful to me as I am still a newbie! :oops: Carbon Film, Composition, or Metal Film? Polyester film (Box style) - polyester film - Ceramic?? Zener Diode, Signal Diode, transient voltage suppression diode OMG HELP ME
Just tell me what to get lol! I think I just need a master list is there a sticky for this already somewhere?
I dont want to order in a few PCB's from madbean or someone else and not have any of the parts needed :wink:

-Shane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:04 pm 

What I would do (and what I did when I first got into this) is get a few boards you want to build, or just the docs, sit down and make a combined list of what you are going to need. You'll be surprised how fast it really adds up.

I like the vishay RL series for resistors. But I don't think it really matters this day in age what company you go with. I would recommend getting 2%, or at the very least 10% tolerance. I don't think it really matters a whole lot, but if you are going to DIY it, you might as well set the tolerance level high, you know.

Your box caps will likely be in the 63 to 100V range. Look for 5mm lead spacing on those. You typically want 7.2 mm L x 2.5 mm W x 6.5 mm H for the physical size.

For your electrolytic caps, try to get a lead spacing of 2.5-3.5 (this sometimes varies from board to board). you can usually squeeze them in each others spot, or do some bendy thing like I had you do on that voodoo pedal (that is like that because I did not know what lead spacing to order when I stocked up years ago). You want like 6ish MM for the diameter on those. Your voltage will range from 16V (for things like 47u up) to maybe 50V for a .1u. Just try to take into account the physical diameter, things can get tight real fast on the well designed boards.

ceramics are spaced all over the place, anywhere form 2.5 to 5mm. If you don't want to buy multiples of the same thing just to have alternate spacings, feel free to just bend them.

Your diodes and ICs and transistors; just make a list of what you're going to need. You'll probably have some questions understanding what series to get. As you found out with those LM301s, things with the same part number and a different letter can make a big impact. You don't always need to have the exact matching part number, a lot of things can be swapped. It would be best to bring those questions up as needed. after a few pedals you'll soon have memorized which op-amps can be interchanged with little to no effect.

That's my crash course intro.

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:12 pm 

What I did was order a few (4) boards, and then combined the parts list of what I was going to need, and then rounded up. Resistors from Tayda come in "sets of 10, so if I needed 11, I would order 20. For the caps, I did and still do the same thing.IC's I usually order in multiples of 5 and Trannies multiples of 10 unless they're spendy. Pots I only order what i need, and then order what I forgot later. Jacks (20) and stomps (10) at a time. BLMS has set rate shipping of 5, so I order 100.00 at a time, becuse bill me later through paypal has interest free financing if you spend $100 minimum. I always pay it off. And then lastly I buy from guys here on the forum and madbean whenever I see a good deal. Takes a bit to build up a stash but then very little t keep it going.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:09 am 

Unless you have a thousand to blow it will take a while to build up a good stash of stuff. Resitors, caps, diodes and IC's are of course just part of the puzzle and other than some odd IC's the cheapest part. Jacks, stompers, knobs, enclosures etc... run the bill up much quicker.

It is hard to answer you question fully. I did what the others have said and looked at many builds at once, wrote down the values and went from there. I still do that actually to make sure I have what I need on hand although I was running 6-8 builds in advance.

Of note, when I first started and before I ever built my first pedal I took ALL of the BYOC pedal docs (there were maybe a dozen fewer at the time) and printed them out and sat at a table and wrote down all the parts out on one sheet. I figured out of all these different flavors this would give me an idea of what parts were needed for many/most builds. This is partially true and still holds I think but you will find, say over at Madbeans' or Guitarpcb that this is not entirely true.

In general my 2pf's are use metal film resistors. I bought a kit(s) from Smallbear that had 100 each for the most common values. From there I filled in the gaps as I needed to always buying 100 of each. I bought many of those from Tayda and Mammoth over time. What are common values you ask? That is where looking at several builds in advance comes in handy as you will begin to see trends.

For diodes if you get a decent supply of IN4001 and IN4148 or IN914 (they are essentially the same for our purpose) that covers the "protection" part of the build. Other diodes are for clipping many times for those signals that need to be clipped of course. Your build docs will give you an idea of what other diodes you would need.

For IC's, since these can be expensive depending on where you get them and what they are stocking up on these I would do last. I would look at future projects, get those and maybe a few extra and work it from there. For modulation effects and delays this is where the "odder" IC's come into play and can be expensive depending on what version of things you build.

For caps, this is the most confusing for people. Many choices and mostly snake oil for pedal purposes. Or maybe you have Eric Johnson ears but when it comes to 9v pedals and if you are not rich you might want to stick with box caps and "greenies" as the call them. Look like green chiclets. For under 100n values I would get greenies starting out. They are cheap and still relatively small. For values 100n or greater the greeines get a tad big which can become a problem in tight spaces so box caps is the way I go or try to. Some others might advise otherwise. You can spend more to upgrade the caps but again that is up to your ears. I'm half deaf from loud music so who am I kidding.

For electro's, I'd try to get 25v and up as you will run up on 18v circuits you may want to build.

I say all this to also say that if you think you will build 15 or more pedals then jump in. If you think less and certainly less than 10 I would simply take the build docs and get only what you need as you go. It all depends on how bad the addiction takes hold.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:00 am 

Whenever I plan to build a pedal I make a stock list in excel first. I've even made a nice excel sheet with the parts I'm most likely ever to buy from my favorite webshops which includes their prices. I can enter whatever I need and it calculates what it will cost me, including shipping, in euros. It has almost all the resistors, caps, pots, enclosures and diodes stocked by Newtone and Musikding, and the most likely switches, trannies and IC's I've encountered in my builds so far. If you want it, send me a PM.

Anyway, based on what I ordered most in my old stocklists I've compiled a list of the most likely things you will probably have to order and which are worth stocking up on.

Ceramic caps:
47pf
100pf
220pf
330pf
470pf
680pf

Film caps:
1 nf
2,2 nF
3,3 nf
6,8 nf
10 nF
22 nF
47 nF
0,1 uF
0,22 uF

0,47 uF
1uf

Electrolytics:
1uf
2,2uf
4,7uf
22uf
47uf
100uf
220uf

Resistors:
100R
120R
220R
470R
2,2K (my favorite value for LED's)
1M
2,2M

Diodes:
1N4001
1N914
1N4148
1N5817
1N34A
9,1v zener

Pots:
10Kb
50Kb
100Kb
250Kb
100Ka
250Ka
500Ka
1Ma
1Kc

Trannies:
2N2222A
2N2907A
2N3904
2N5088
2N5089
2N5457
BS170
J201
MPSA18

IC's:
TC104SCP (Madbean seems to love them)
TL062
TL072
TL074
RC4558

Miscellaneous:
3PDT switch
DPDT switch
DPDT on/on/on toggle switch
DPDT on/off/on toggle switch
SPDT on/on toggle switch
9volt DC jack
9volt battery clip (for those who still use them, not I that is)
stereo jacks
mono jacks
5mm LED bezel

Your favorite color in LED's (I prefer blue over red, red tends to become difficult to see on stage when the light engineer goes berserk)
125B enclosure (screw the 1590B! Overrated piece of junk)
1590BB enclosure for bigger builds
Your choice in knobs
Solder!!!

Anything marked in bold you should probably get twice as many as these get really used A LOT! Also keep in mind that the biggest part of your build cost will be the enclosure, the 3PDT switch, the jacks, pots and the knobs. A military saying has it that amateurs talk tactics while professional talk logistics, which translated to pedals means its nice to have all the caps and resistors you want, what will really limit how much and when you can build however is the other stuff.

Any chance you come across a bulk offer, get them, cause these things are easily between 3/5 and 3/4 of your total costs. You come across a nice pedal layout, you better have these in stock as well or you will still be waiting for your order to arrive instead of building right away as you probably want too. I ordered 2 lots of 10 Marshall style knobs each from eBay, they lasted me less then a month. I'm still waiting for a lot of 50 knobs and 20 3PDT switches to arrive, and I'm going to order at least 10 125B's next month.

Edit: I forgot, if you're going to order some vero stripboard, get it here: http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/hardware.html
Best vero stripboard I've EVER had the pleasure to work with. It looks less coppery then usual and makes the solder flow really nice and adhere easy to the board.

Last edited by Muad'zin on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:41 pm 

Hey Awesome pointers man!!

Thank you very much!

-Shane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:30 pm 

I made a list of all the values that I thought parts suppliers should stock for pedal builders. It's here on the forum somewhere (from about 3-4 years ago, maybe).

You can't have too many 10K resistors or 100n caps. You just can't.

You will pay too much if you buy resistors from the usual pedal parts suppliers. Check out Mouser or Newark or Allied Electronics. Mouser has Xicon 1% metal film resistors for 2 cents (if you buy 200).
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xic ... V8Ne6F0%3d

If you want to stock up lots of stuff for $100, you'll need to go with the "big boy" suppliers for passives.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:53 am 

culturejam wrote:
I made a list of all the values that I thought parts suppliers should stock for pedal builders. It's here on the forum somewhere (from about 3-4 years ago, maybe).

You will pay too much if you buy resistors from the usual pedal parts suppliers. Check out Mouser or Newark or Allied Electronics. Mouser has Xicon 1% metal film resistors for 2 cents (if you buy 200).

If you want to stock up lots of stuff for $100, you'll need to go with the "big boy" suppliers for passives.

Do you by chance also happen to know if Mouser has any of these:

http://www.musikding.de/MKT-01uF_1

I really would like to stock up on caps like these but I just can't seem to find them. It would appear my new found illness has left my google-fu feeble and weak.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:18 pm 

Muad'zin wrote:
culturejam wrote:

Do you by chance also happen to know if Mouser has any of these:

http://www.musikding.de/MKT-01uF_1

I really would like to stock up on caps like these but I just can't seem to find them. It would appear my new found illness has left my google-fu feeble and weak.

871-B32529C103K189

80-MMK5473K63J01L4

505-MKS20.047/63/5

871-B32529C1104K189

871-B32529C224K

505-MKS20.22/63/5

etc. etc.

:)

http://www.danielzink.com