Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:28 pm 

I'm almost out of 3PDTs, and I only have cheapo junky jacks around at the moment.

I'd like to run a group buy, but I'm also MUCHO busy at the moment, with a move coming up and St. Patrick's Day (my band's busiest season by far) around the corner. So I figured I'd put out a feeler to see if anyone has an inkling.

If no one else steps up, I will consider it—but I would definitely limit it to one type of switch and one type of jack. (Most likely blue 3PDTs and Neutrik mono jacks from BLMS.)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:31 pm 

I'm in for jacks for sure

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:33 pm 

I'd probably be interested if it's the Teal Pro 3PDT jacks from Mammoth that were in the last group buy. Those are one of the few things I still get from Mammoth.

I wish folks liked the Switchcraft open jacks. I FAR prefer those to the Neutrik open jacks, but I seem to be in the minority with that. It's interesting, because I quite like the Neutrik/Rean closed jacks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:35 pm 

pickdropper wrote:
I'd probably be interested if it's the Teal Pro 3PDT jacks from Mammoth that were in the last group buy. Those are one of the few things I still get from Mammoth.

I wish folks liked the Switchcraft open jacks. I FAR prefer those to the Neutrik open jacks, but I seem to be in the minority with that. It's interesting, because I quite like the Neutrik/Rean closed jacks.

I like the teal jacks, too, but Laurence isn't interested in them (or wasn't last I asked), and I'm not comfortable enough with Mammoth at the moment to use them if I end up running it. But I'd buy in if someone else did. I have no strong opinion on jacks other than BLMS carries Neutrik. Curious: what do you prefer about them? (I couldn't tell you the difference offhand.)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:42 pm 

I will run it if need be. I have done up a few group buys and i have the time right now!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:49 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
pickdropper wrote:

I like the teal jacks, too, but Laurence isn't interested in them (or wasn't last I asked), and I'm not comfortable enough with Mammoth at the moment to use them if I end up running it. But I'd buy in if someone else did. I have no strong opinion on jacks other than BLMS carries Neutrik. Curious: what do you prefer about them? (I couldn't tell you the difference offhand.)

Yeah, fair enough about Mammoth. They seem to be shooting themselves in the footswitch these days.

I like jacks that have a strongly defined breakover when the plug is inserted. The Neutrik open jacks I've had in the past were certainly tight (tighter than Switchcraft) but didn't have a well-defined breakover. It felt more like a friction fit than a well-designed leaf spring insert. They weren't unusable, but I strongly preferred the Switchcraft.

For closed types, both the Switchcraft and Neutrik are quite nice, but the Neutrik are WAY cheaper from Mouser.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:55 pm 

I'm with Dave on the Switchcraft jacks. It's pretty much all I use any more. Neutriks are great but they are really stiff to plug in, and I've had quite a few strip when tightening - never had the issue with Switchcraft.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:07 pm 

I'll be in on this for sure. I am low on both. I have been using the 'functional equivalent' switch craft jacks from small bear, and I honestly like them a little better.

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:08 pm 

I'm in on a group buy for jacks and switches, I was about to put in an order with blms anyway. Looks like phreek will head it up, let's do this!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:53 pm 

I was literally just about to order too, so if this can happen quickly I'm in- no pressure. :lol:

I've always liked neutric, but will happily try switchcraft if the price is close.
Having tried just about everything, including a few other kinds just to avoid Mammoth, my preference is still the teal switches... surely Mammoth can't screw up a large order of one item? :|

codtone.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:39 pm 

My $0.02.........

Whoever does this better get a handle on shipping.

International shipping is nearly treble what it was when the first large Group Buys were organized.

Feel free to PM or email if anyone wants to go over my notes from previous buys.

cb

Frag Magnet wrote:

BYOC: So easy even a drunk can do it!
:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:45 pm 

phreek wrote:
I will run it if need be. I have done up a few group buys and i have the time right now!

Sounds like there's enough demand, and thanks for offering! Let us know how you'd like to proceed.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:45 pm 

crbmoa wrote:
My $0.02.........

Whoever does this better get a handle on shipping.

International shipping is nearly treble what it was when the first large Group Buys were organized.

Feel free to PM or email if anyone wants to go over my notes from previous buys.

cb

yeah, when I did the wire, a package to US members was between 1.75 and $3. Same small package to AU was $10 or so. This was for a standard letter sized package about 3/8" thick. I would work it out with our friends abroad on a order by order basis.

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:59 pm 

Hey guys i have bad news. Im already going to have to bow out on heading this up.
Bad bad juju in phreekland yet again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:41 pm 

I will consider taking it on, but only on the following terms.

We need to break 500 Piece count on the Switches and the jacks - otherwise the margins do not make sense.

If we are going to do the green 3PDTs, we are pretty much going with Mammoth. I would prefer just going with the Switchcraft jacks, but if there is enough interest, I could see going with Neutriks, too.

I will only head it up if we have enough interest to make the numbers we need, AND I can get a Mammoth rep to log in and post here and say they are going to deal with us.

I will compute PP fees and $2.50 for my time and labor for each order. We will probably need to get a break on shipping, because margins on the jacks and 3PDTs are smaller than they used to be.

I am not up to adding pots. That is HUGE, and I lost my @$$ on that the last two times because of ordering and shipping problems. Part of the reason the last Group Buys worked was because we saved on per part price on switches, jacks AND pots, but the pots are way labor intensive, and I do not have the time or space to handle them in a timely manner.

To be honest, I swore I would not do this again, but I am willing to take a look at it, partially because I want to see if it even pencils out anymore. The vendors have become competitive enough, I don't know if there is enough fat on the hog.

Chris

Frag Magnet wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:45 pm 

I'm good for 100 jacks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:49 pm 

That sounds great (especially the Switchcraft jacks). I think you may want to add more money for your time and labor and any associated surprise costs. It might make sense to scale it. IE: $2.50 per $50 spent. That way, you'd make more on the larger orders, which obviously require more work. If the price breaks on the parts are decent, people will still save money.

Just food for thought.

crbmoa wrote:
I will consider taking it on, but only on the following terms.

We need to break 500 Piece count on the Switches and the jacks - otherwise the margins do not make sense.

If we are going to do the green 3PDTs, we are pretty much going with Mammoth. I would prefer just going with the Switchcraft jacks, but if there is enough interest, I could see going with Neutriks, too.

I will only head it up if we have enough interest to make the numbers we need, AND I can get a Mammoth rep to log in and post here and say they are going to deal with us.

I will compute PP fees and $2.50 for my time and labor for each order. We will probably need to get a break on shipping, because margins on the jacks and 3PDTs are smaller than they used to be.

I am not up to adding pots. That is HUGE, and I lost my @$$ on that the last two times because of ordering and shipping problems. Part of the reason the last Group Buys worked was because we saved on per part price on switches, jacks AND pots, but the pots are way labor intensive, and I do not have the time or space to handle them in a timely manner.

To be honest, I swore I would not do this again, but I am willing to take a look at it, partially because I want to see if it even pencils out anymore. The vendors have become competitive enough, I don't know if there is enough fat on the hog.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:53 pm 

I have sent an email to Mammoth to see who I would be dealing with and whether they are interested.

cb

Frag Magnet wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:05 am 

Those are very sensible terms, Chris. Thanks for considering it.

(BTW, one reason I was leaning toward BLMS is their promise of a flat $5.95 shipping fee no matter how much you order, but a group buy might violate the spirit of that promise.)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:25 am 

Happy Monday everyone! Mammoth would be happy to do a group buy with you guys. I have been talking with Chris and i think you guys will be happy with the discounts we have setup for you on the jacks and switches. He will have the details for you in just a bit as some of it depends on how many jacks and switches you all decide to get. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:05 pm 

I'd be down

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:07 pm 

Click on the link below to get to the continuation of this discussion.

http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=48491

Frag Magnet wrote: