Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: GFS Factory Buyout Stuff
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 am 

Hey all,
I was going through the GFS Factory Buyout stuff and found a few necks that seem way too good to be true. I pulled the trigger on one (a tele style satin finish with rosewood fretboard) for $20. Figured I can't go wrong. There was very little in the description other than look at the pictures closely. It looks to me as if the headstock was very poorly shaped and there are scuffs all over the back of the neck (probably sealed but not fully finished.) At any rate, I am wondering if any of you have tried the Factory blowout stuff and what came of it? At worst for me I will have a $20 piece of scrap. At best, it will need some work but be very good.
-P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:52 am 

Never tried them myself, but have been very curious, so I'm jumping in the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:00 pm 

I got a neck and body from this almost two years ago now (man time flies!). I had to sand the neck heel down a bit to get it to fit (both were listed as 56mm) and I have something that could make a playable guitar. The body was finished but had some scuffs in it, and the neck was finished as well. I tried to buff some of the scratches out of the body, but it seemed I was only making things worse. I've never been too good at that sort of thing and ultimately, I wasn't all that concerned with it. Unfortunately, I haven't spent the time to get all the rest of the pieces to complete it so those parts are sitting in a box.

Someday I'll get around to finishing it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:32 am 

I scored a PRS style body and a neck that matched their pocket measurement. The neck was in good shape and finished, the only complaint I had with it is the bridge needed a lot of work. The unfinished body needed a bunch of filling, and had one mistake drilling that someone had filled in. All-in-all, it was a decent deal. Someday I'll post pictures of the guitar I built out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:51 am 

I got the neck today. It looks straight and is the one they pictured online. The frets need a polish, the nut is a mess (but can be corrected) the headstock needs a re-shaping, the mounting holes are wide by about 3mm, the whole thing needs to be sanded and cleaned up. The wood is sealed and is actually a very pretty piece. It looks like a Strat heal.
So was it worth it? Well, I paid $20 for it. All of the defects can easily be corrected (polish the frets, sand the neck a bit, re-shape the headstock and cut a new nut) with a few hours of work. As long as the frets are correctly spaced (i'll check this tonight) and the truss rod works (again, will test tonight), then it is a hell of a deal. However, if the truss rod is broken or stuck or the frets are off or when I put tension on the neck, it twist, then I will have a $20 piece of scrap. Good thing I have a backup plan!
-P