Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Component Types
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:11 pm 

Hi all,

I'm new to the DIY stompboxes and have several projects already in the queue. I have a beginner question. Some of my projects I'm buying kits and others just the PCB and sourcing the parts myself. My dilemma is I am not sure what type or style of components to buy. e.g. carbon composite vs. metal oxide vs. ..... resistors or aluminum electrolytic vs. ceramic disc vs. ..... capacitors and so on. I want to use the best options available and not necessarily the most economical.
Usually the BOMs don't specify unless it is a diode, transistor or an IC.
Is there a good reference for this?
Some of them may be obvious by looking at the board itself but most of the time, not.
I used to be pretty familiar with different types of components when I studied Engineering but that was 20 years ago and haven't used any of my EE education since then so I am more than rusty!!!

Thanks and I'm glad to be part of the forum now and looking forward to my first b.y.o.c. kit! I think it is going to be the Flying Pan clone or the Stereo Flanger!

BA

PS: If anyone has a good source with a variety of values for reverse log dual gang pots, I'm looking for several for a stereo preamp I'm planning!

Post subject: Re: Component Types
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:00 pm 

The best part is that most of the passive components haven't changed in those 20 years too much.

We use 1/4 watt metal film resistors, Polyester film caps, aluminum electrolytics, ceramic disc caps, and a smidge of magic in our kits. (you can do just fine without the magic though).

You will find all over the internet people yapping about 'This brand is teh best for toanz' but in reality, value (10K, 4n7, etc.), tolerance (1%, 5%), voltage rating, and size seem to be the important parts to focus on (unless we are talking about NOS components, then there are some that are more desirable than others, but that is a whole different rabbit hole). At least until you develop a brand preference, but by that point, you will have it all figured out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:00 pm 

Thanks!

As a guitar builder I've kind of already have some brand prejudice. Sprague & Auricap caps & CTS and Bourns pots. I'm not a big fan of Alpha pots as they seem cheaply built in comparison to the other 2. But, it looks like Alpha is the way to go for 16mm pots as far as variety.

thanks again,

BA

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:11 am 

I am nowhere near the expert as many on this forum, but here goes.

As mentioned above, get the right value and then it will come down to tolerance and size.

I pay attention to package size, voltage rating and whether the component is supposed to be polarized, outside of that I am shooting for aesthetics, which may be sad, but it's true.

If the project has a bunch of electrolytic caps, I may use all tantulum and then use dipped ceramic for the other caps so there's a bunch of "matching" parts. I like for the resistors to all be the same color and have nearly phased out all of my yellow/brown values in favor of all blue. (Nevermind that I like to have all resistors of the same value with the colors oriented in the same direction...that's totally OK/normal/not-weird...umm, yeah). If I'm using box caps, I like to use ALL boxes. If I'm using chiclet/film caps......

You won't find many people here who HAVE to have 'x' brand of capacitor from 'y' batch produced in 'z' year...and I'm certainly not one either. I do prefer Neutrik jacks and have been really liking the 'Pro' 3PDT's from Mammoth, but those are preferences and I'm sure there's someone out there who hates all that as much as I love it. I haven't done it yet, but a semi-required DIY rite of passage is ordering caps from Mouser that turn out to be about the size of a lunch box when you obviously needed something smaller, lol. The cool thing about the DIY community is if you do that, somebody out there can probably help you out so you don;t have to pay $5 shipping from an online store to get a 20 cent part.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:58 pm 

mrclean77 wrote:
...(Nevermind that I like to have all resistors of the same value with the colors oriented in the same direction...that's totally OK/normal/not-weird...umm, yeah). If I'm using box caps, I like to use ALL boxes. If I'm using chiclet/film caps......

I totally do this. I tell myself it makes troubleshooting easier.