Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:16 pm 

Hi,

I've been using the same soldering iron for years, and it's always done the job, and pretty well. But, part way through my current BYOC project, my soldering iron has suddenly degraded in performance, and is delivering cold solder joints, and giving me trouble getting the solder to stick to solder pads.

This is the soldering iron that I have, a Weller WPS18MP, which is 18 watts: http://www.weller-toolsus.com/weller-wp ... watts.html

Its tip is removable, and I can order a new tip for $10: http://www.weller-toolsus.com/weller-wp ... wps18.html

Is it possible that replacing the tip won't make the soldering iron perform like new again?

There's a local Craigslist listing for a soldering iron kit that looks pretty comprehensive: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/ele ... 10519.html

Should that be a good soldering ion? It says it's 60 watts, and has adjustable temperature, from 200 C - 450 C. 450 C sounds on the low side, since my Weller WPS18MP is said to do 482 (900 F) C.

And then there's one of these larger Weller soldering irons that I often see used, which have an independent output: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele ... 09984.html

I have a 5 more BYOC kits besides the one I'm currently working on, and I do soldering of various things from time to time. I'd like to be able to replace the tip of a soldering iron, and I plan to do some plastic welding on my car with a flat solder tip. Which soldering iron would be best for me?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 am 

IMO an 18W iron is on the weak side. I’ve been soldering for more years than I care to count and I’ve found that my Weller WP35 (35W) pencil iron and Weller GT7A (150W) solder gun cover all my soldering needs. Unlike the Weller SP23LK (25W) the WP35 has tips that are very long lasting. Tips for the SP23LK only last a few months at best. I use one of three tips on the pencil for all my soldering needs. A cone tip, a 1/16” and a 1/8” chisel tip. I’ve never been a fan of solder stations and their adjustable wattage irons. I’ve had a couple over the years and they always crap out in a year or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:52 am 

Stephen wrote:
....I’ve never been a fan of solder stations and their adjustable wattage irons. I’ve had a couple over the years and they always crap out in a year or so.

I rarely disagree with Stephen, but here is one area where our experience differs. I purchased a Hakko 936 temp-controlled station eight years ago (~$100 USD) and it continues to perform flawlessly and is still running with the original tip! I leave the temp. setting at 700 F (370 C) and use Kester rosin-core 63/37 solder. I've built probably 200 pedals with the unit, as well as several amps (using a larger tip for more thermal mass) and various other odds and ends. The model that I have was replaced several years ago by the FX888D model, which is still priced in that same range.

I owned a succession of cheap Weller irons and after the third one crapped out, I decided to bite the bullet and get a decent quality station. I have never regretted that decision for a moment.

I should also point out that the economy station that BYOC sells is an excellent value for the money. Nick at BYOC swears by them and he's used the unit on countless pedal and amp builds.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 pm 

Is the tip of the BYOC soldering iron replaceable?

https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... er-station

Do you think that the soldering iron in this kit would be sufficient for making, say, 15 BYOC pedals?

https://www.amazon.ca/handskit-Solderin ... 01N46T138/

Here are some of the user reviews:

"purchased with the high rating reviews this kit received. Was as advertised, only complaint is the sponge is crappy and the soldering iron stand is poorly built, all else is great. Would purchase again"

"I knew what I was buying, a Soldering Iron Kit at an awesome price, for the money I paid I'd say I got better than my moneys worth. Was reading a guy who said it was cheap? I own kits at work that cost over the $1k line, they both pretty much perform the same task and job, hows the quality? It's $40 bucks of quality and I believe I received my $40 bucks of quality. Great product, works, I like how it's built and I recommend it to anyone."

"I purchased this item for small repairs, I have not yet had a chance to use everything in the kit but I can say that the solder remover and the soldering tool itself work great. For the price, there isn't anything wrong with this kit, it has everything you could need for basic electronic repairs."

"Made in China! That is why you get all these items in a kit for $40 CDN! Many of the parts and components are pretty cheap. I was surprised as to how small the soldering iron was . . . I thought it would have a bit more heft. The iron is more akin to the size of an oversized pen than a traditional soldering iron. The base for the iron is pretty cheap too - they included what appears to be a sponge for wetting/cleaning of the iron tip. Barely absorbs water and doesn't even fit in the indentation in the base where it's supposed to go. I would only recommend this kit if you do soldering once in a blue moon."