Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Source for Wire
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:24 am 

I'm building my first pedal and ran out of the the wire provided with the kit (it was short). I've done a few searches for reliable suppliers of wire but haven't found any recent posts on the subject.

The consensus, in terms of the best type of wire, seems to be 22-24 awg stranded pre-tinned (teflon coated if you can find it and willing to spend the $$$). Can anyone recommend a good wire supplier?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Source for Wire
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:05 am 

remington wire is good.... been using it a while, here is a link.https://www.ebay.com/itm/22-AWG-Gauge-S ... 2749.l2649

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:09 am 

another note,,,, follow the wire lengths close in the directions and you wont run short.. i like to keep my wires as short as i can... on the micro pedals especially, it can be challenging tucking all the wires and everything else in the enclosure...good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:39 am 

mblemmy wrote:
remington wire is good.... been using it a while, here is a link.https://www.ebay.com/itm/22-AWG-Gauge-S ... 2749.l2649
And this is good stuff, no breaking issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:38 am 

Thanks for the advice mblemmy. Coincidentally, I stumbled onto Remington last weekend but haven't seen any mention of them anywhere so I wasn't sure about them.

I do stick close to the kit measurements, but I'm still developing my soldering technique and I've burned up some wire as well as a couple fingerprints.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:52 am 

My best wire came from a group buy a long time ago; I can't seem to get it in small quantities anywhere.

I do have a ton of purple BYOC hookup wire in my stash that I won't need, so if you need some, let me know. Happy to pass it on.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:36 pm 

I like the purple wire, it’s really easy to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:44 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
My best wire came from a group buy a long time ago; I can't seem to get it in small quantities anywhere.

Ahh, yes, perhaps one of the "T-Diddy group buys?" That was good stuff, indeed. Barry Steindel over at GuitarPCB.com offered this same stuff recently (viewtopic.php?p=489500#p489500), but it took a while to come due to COVID-19 related delays. Just got my order last week.

sjaustin wrote:
I do have a ton of purple BYOC hookup wire in my stash that I won't need, so if you need some, let me know. Happy to pass it on.

^ This. Unused rolls right out of the BYOC kits. Mostly purple, a few green. ~5 ft. per roll. PM me if you want some. The wire is free, but I will nick you for the postage....

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:57 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
sjaustin wrote:

Ahh, yes, perhaps one of the "T-Diddy group buys?" That was good stuff, indeed. Barry Steindel over at GuitarPCB.com offered this same stuff recently (viewtopic.php?p=489500#p489500), but it took a while to come due to COVID-19 related delays. Just got my order last week.

sjaustin wrote:

^ This. Unused rolls right out of the BYOC kits. Mostly purple, a few green. ~5 ft. per roll. PM me if you want some. The wire is free, but I will nick you for the postage....

Scott and Voodooman, thanks for your generous offers of purple wire. Yesterday, based on a local guitar builder's suggestion, I pulled the trigger on this silicone insulated wire from Amazon. Also, I'll get it tomorrow and I'm too impatient to wait for a delivery from Remington. Hopefully it's not crap.

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Flexi ... 157&sr=8-5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:27 pm 

Marcstradamus wrote:
Scott and Voodooman, thanks for your generous offers of purple wire. Yesterday, based on a local guitar builder's suggestion, I pulled the trigger on this silicone insulated wire from Amazon. Also, I'll get it tomorrow and I'm too impatient to wait for a delivery from Remington. Hopefully it's not crap.

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Flexi ... 157&sr=8-5

Let us know what you think of that wire when you use some of it. That's a lot of wire for not much $$ (under 10 cents a foot!).

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:32 pm 

Hey Folks, sorry that it took so long to report on the wire that I purchased. I used it for the switch. It's the yellow wire in the attached photo. It seemed to take the solder well and is not as stiff as the purple wire that BYOC provides but still holds it's shape when bent. Unfortunately, my Pedal isn't working. I get bypass but no effects from the pedal. I've checked all connections from the switch to the PCB with my multimeter and get beeps at every connection in both the on and off positions. I'm going to post a request for advise in the technical support section.

Attachments:
Switch.jpg
Switch.jpg [ 261.25 KiB | Viewed 5894 times ]